Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learning how to drive
Drew
post Jul 25th 2013, 5:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI12: Angie Miller
Fav. AI13: Sam Woolf
Fav. XFUK: Ben Haenow

So, I got my permit this past Monday (after only about a decade of being eligible to do so, lol) and I've been out practicing a little over a day now. Most people get started in an empty parking lot, my father just has me drive to the supermarket and back, which requires going through the center of town, quite a busy area ...and I actually did fine. Thinking back to yesterday, I'm actually nervous at what I was able to do without any preparation at all. fear2.gif

Feel free to use this thread to provide tips to help me or others dealing with the same thing.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jul 25th 2013, 5:26 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Klynnxo
post Jul 25th 2013, 6:53 PM
Post #2

My dad did the same to me when I was learning to drive

but you will get the hang of it, i mean i've been driving for awhile but i'm still trying to get a hang of things happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
credit: x
+Quote Post
Drew
post Jul 25th 2013, 6:53 PM
Post #3

How long did it take for you to go for your license?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Klynnxo
post Jul 25th 2013, 7:18 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Drew @ Jul 25th 2013, 7:53 PM) *

How long did it take for you to go for your license?

I think I was 20 when I got mine

I failed two times but the third time I passed

what got me was the parallel parking and ever since then I haven't even done it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Drew
post Jul 25th 2013, 7:25 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Klynnxo @ Jul 25th 2013, 8:18 PM) *

I think I was 20 when I got mine

I failed two times but the third time I passed

what got me was the parallel parking and ever since then I haven't even done it.

I'm so nervous about the test. blushing.gif But, I know plenty of people that have no business on the road and are absolutely horrible drivers and they all passed once upon a time. ph34rwave.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Klynnxo
post Jul 25th 2013, 7:30 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Drew @ Jul 25th 2013, 8:25 PM) *

I'm so nervous about the test. blushing.gif But, I know plenty of people that have no business on the road and are absolutely horrible drivers and they all passed once upon a time. ph34rwave.gif

You will do great love huggy.gif and I know the part about certain people that should not be on the road closedeyes.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Drew
post Jul 25th 2013, 7:41 PM
Post #7

What were you asked to do? happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
**JennyGearFan**
post Jul 25th 2013, 7:57 PM
Post #8

Group: Blend Artists

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood

I've had my license for almost 4 years now. happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Drew
post Jul 25th 2013, 8:08 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(**JennyGearFan** @ Jul 25th 2013, 8:57 PM) *

I've had my license for almost 4 years now. happy.gif

Help! crying.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Jul 25th 2013, 9:13 PM
Post #10

Fav. AI7: Michael Johns
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Hollie Cavanagh

I didn't get my license until I was 21 and the only reason I did is because I got an internship that required you to have your license but even then, I hardly ever drove. To be honest, driving terrifies me which is why hopefully someday I can move to a city where I don't need to have a car to get around like New York. However now I have an internship that requires me to drive close to 6 hours a day so I've gotten a lot more comfortable.

--------------------

RIP Cory Monteith. | My Disney Tumblr.
+Quote Post
Drew
post Jul 25th 2013, 9:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Jordan-N-Torifan @ Jul 25th 2013, 10:13 PM) *

I didn't get my license until I was 21 and the only reason I did is because I got an internship that required you to have your license but even then, I hardly ever drove. To be honest, driving terrifies me which is why hopefully someday I can move to a city where I don't need to have a car to get around like New York. However now I have an internship that requires me to drive close to 6 hours a day so I've gotten a lot more comfortable.

Awww.

Sometimes I worry I'm going too slow and the person behind me is noticing the break lights come on excessively and are probably like WTF is the deal with this person? laughing.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
RWG
post Jul 25th 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #12

Fav. CI2: Theresa Sokyrka
Fav. AI7: Amanda Overmyer

I bus everywhere now, but I got my license when I was 17. My jaw dropped when the road test person said I had passed on the first try, seeing as I had no idea what I was doing. In fact, I think the reason I did well was because I thought I'd failed in the first five minutes (here they make you do the whole test even if you can't pass), so I didn't care and just the rest of the test relaxed and not nervous.

Tips would obviously vary depending on where you live, but my province is notoriously rough on young drivers, so here are some tips that might apply:

- Read the book they give you. Other than lessons, that's the one single thing that will most increase your odds of passing. There are tons of obscure rules they might test you on (like how to signal and shoulder check when you drive around a cul-de-sac ... excessive, but I was tested on it).
- Become familiar (or memorize) the speed limits on the streets around your DMV or licensing centre. It's generally safer to travel with the flow of traffic normally, but for your test, never go over the limit or more than 10 km/hr. under.
- Do 360 degree shoulder checks when you reverse. You can lose points if you don't go all the way around.
- Always shoulder check on any right turn and all lane changes, even when you know there's nothing there.
- Back into your parking space when you arrive for your test. That way you can pull out forward when you begin. It's just one maneuver made easier (no shoulder checks).
- Many people fail on advanced rights. Here's a tip: you don't have to do them. If you're at an intersection of two eight-lane streets and feel like there's too much going on with pedestrians, oncoming traffic, protected left turns, etc., it's not illegal to just wait until your light is green. The cars behind you might honk, but just for your test, it's one less thing you might fail on.
- Know your hand signals. Apparently they're common sense, but I didn't know them, or that they were even on the test.

I wouldn't waste too much time or reverse-stall or parallel parking. Everybody freaks out over them, but I don't think they're a huge component of most tests. You're better off using that time to get comfortable driving defensively and to learn the rules of the road.

Don't take it too seriously. Honestly, sometimes you just fail on bad luck. And I find my commutes to be much less stressful on public transit and my bike, so if you feel like driving's not for you, maybe it isn't, and there's nothing wrong with that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
juniorfan4eva
post Jul 25th 2013, 10:31 PM
Post #13

UGH I wish I could drive sad.gif It's so inconvenient not being able to because I hate/am reallyyyy uncomfortable/scared of pubilc transit and I always feel bad asking for people for rides. I have to go six months seizure free on the same meds and that hasn't happened yet. I can't even get my G1. thumbdown.gif Even still, I feel like I'd be a HORRIBLE driver laughing.gif Also, a lot of people in my town don't drive because 10 teenagers (it's a small town so everyone knows everyone) have died in car crashes from 2009-now. no.gif Every so often I'll go take the online G1 test just to keep up with my memory and make sure I know all the general rules even though I am not getting it any time soon, but yeah haha.gif

This post has been edited by juniorfan4eva: Jul 25th 2013, 10:41 PM

--------------------
The moon never beams without bringing me dreams...
+Quote Post
BestUsernameEva
post Jul 25th 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #14

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI13: Majesty Rose

I passed my road test the second time I took it. The first time I failed because I had to make a left across three lanes of traffic and that intersection didn't have a green arrow light, so I ended up making a left as soon as the light turned red, which caused me to fail. I used to be soo good at parallel parking but I haven't done it since my road test and now whenever I try to do it it's horrible.

The second time I took my road test was in the same location, but when I tried to cross over to the left lane it was unsafe to do so, so I ended up not even having to make the left that was my downfall the first time around.

Check your mirrors constantly when you're taking the test, and if the instructor tells you to change lanes, make absolutely sure it's safe to do so; you probably won't have to do it if you can't change lanes.

Anyone have any advice for driving on highways? I don't live by a highway so the thought of merging into high speed traffic is totally frightening for me.

--------------------
13: Majesty, Alex, Jena, Caleb, Jess
12: Angie | 11: Skylar | 10: Haley, Paul, Casey | 9: what
8: Kris, Allison, Matt, Adam | 7: David C, David A, Brooke, Jason, Carly, Michael
6: Jordin, Chris R, Blake, Gina, Phil | 5: Elliott, Taylor, Chris, Melissa, Bucky
4: Jessica, Bo, Nadia | 3: Fantasia, Diana, JPL | 2: Vanessa, Clay | 1: Kelly
+Quote Post
saran4886
post Jul 26th 2013, 4:27 AM
Post #15

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. SYTYCD2: Benji Schwimmer

OH man, I still don't have mine (I'm 27) but my boyfriend wants me to try and learn soon. I'm just terrified of the idea of controlling a large vehicle and I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable doing it. sad.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
<3J.SPARKS<3
post Jul 26th 2013, 7:04 AM
Post #16

Fav. AI6: Jordin Sparks
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI13: Jessica Meuse

I've been practicing for a few months now! I'm struggling with parallel parking and sometimes, reverse parking. I also get nervous when the road is a bit crowded and there are other cars near, I want some space fear2.gif

--------------------

Before you echo "Amen" in your home or place of worship, think and remember. A child is listening.
This ticket is not for me. ☮
+Quote Post
jodilo88
post Jul 26th 2013, 2:23 PM
Post #17

Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. XFUS: Jennel Garcia

I will be 25 next month and I don't have my license. My fiance wants to help me for when we have kids, but I am honest to God terrified of driving...the last time I practiced it was in an empty parking lot and I can't even park right (usually need to go up a little further than I stop at), my turns are weird, and you can F O R G E T driving in actual traffic...I still have nightmares of going down the highway with my aunt constantly saying "50 (mph) please" because I'd constantly fall to 45.

I get bad, bad anxiety whenever my fiance brings up driving. It's awful. I felt horrible when we went on vacation last year to Florida, because it was a 14 hour drive and he drove the entire time.

--------------------
Call me JoAnna, please. :)
Baby #1 due 07/04/15 <3

IPB Image
+Quote Post
saran4886
post Jul 26th 2013, 2:47 PM
Post #18

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. SYTYCD2: Benji Schwimmer

QUOTE(jodilo88 @ Jul 26th 2013, 3:23 PM) *

I will be 25 next month and I don't have my license. My fiance wants to help me for when we have kids, but I am honest to God terrified of driving...the last time I practiced it was in an empty parking lot and I can't even park right (usually need to go up a little further than I stop at), my turns are weird, and you can F O R G E T driving in actual traffic...I still have nightmares of going down the highway with my aunt constantly saying "50 (mph) please" because I'd constantly fall to 45.

I get bad, bad anxiety whenever my fiance brings up driving. It's awful. I felt horrible when we went on vacation last year to Florida, because it was a 14 hour drive and he drove the entire time.

That's the only reason I'd want to learn, if only to give someone else a break on long driving trips. Otherwise, I really really don't want to do it. pinch.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Drew
post Jul 26th 2013, 3:24 PM
Post #19

I'm surprised by how many of you don't drive. How do you get around? shocked.gif I was lucky because I always had someone willing to take me.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Jul 26th 2013, 4:41 PM
Post #20

Fav. AI7: Michael Johns
Fav. AI11: Hollie Cavanagh

QUOTE(Drew @ Jul 25th 2013, 9:21 PM) *

Awww.

Sometimes I worry I'm going too slow and the person behind me is noticing the break lights come on excessively and are probably like WTF is the deal with this person? laughing.gif

That's who I felt at first but honestly, now I don't care. If someone behind me doesn't think I'm going fast enough (I always try to stay close to the speed limit- give or take 5 mph), they can go around me. Especially because for work I'm driving a company car and I don't want to be breaking traffic laws. laughing.gif

To those of you who have mentioned parking, I am terrible at parking. laughing.gif I think I've gotten better but if I can, I park in a spot as far away from cars as possible. I can get out of spaces fine, but getting into them is my problem. haha.gif Angled spots are a lot easier for me. And I pull through spaces as often as possible.

--------------------

RIP Cory Monteith. | My Disney Tumblr.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Dec 18th 2014, 10:25 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol