Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's the point of this show?
Lisab
post Jan 6th 2012, 7:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

What exactly was the point of "The Voice" really? To boost the profile of the already established judges/artists or revive their own careers? Javier Colon received virtually no promo his major-label debut album sold less then 10,000 copies its first week. What's the point of the show if they don't even bother to invest in their first winner's music career?

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jan 6th 2012, 7:04 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Weedy Speedy
post Jan 6th 2012, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Fav. AI9: Crystal Bowersox
Fav. AI12: Candice Glover
Fav. AI13: Caleb Johnson

The gospel about this show was that it was supposed to ONLY be about who had the best "voice"...even though that wasn't the case whatsoever. Really it was just yet another singing competition/popularity contest, only with a format that was completely awful.

This post has been edited by Weedy Spyze: Jan 6th 2012, 10:35 AM

--------------------
QUOTE(Carrie&BlakeFan @ May 15th 2014, 11:21 PM) *
Caleb winning is the last thing Idol needs? I think season 13 overall was the last thing Idol needed.
+Quote Post
Treefroggiefreak
post Jan 6th 2012, 2:22 PM
Post #3

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI12: Angie Miller
Fav. AI13: Kristen O'Connor

Yeah I said this in Dia's thread. Her and Javier got ZERO promotion and could have sold probably the same amount of albums they did if they released it completely independent of The Voice with having never been on it. If the show doesn't start putting effort into their contestants, the talent level is only going to go down with nobody wanting to go on a show that doesn't do anything and that's going to spell a quick end for the series.

While I enjoyed The Voice infinitely more than Season 10 of American Idol and Season 1 of X-Factor US, the latter two shows have at least already had success with their contestants or are clearly on the path to make sure they try. The Voice just kind of used the contestants for the shows and then sent them on their way without a second glance.

--------------------
IPB Image
Kristen O'Connor || Majesty York || Jillian Jensen || Sam Woolf || Alex Preston || George Lovett Hamilton
+Quote Post
aifanatic100
post Jan 6th 2012, 9:17 PM
Post #4

Fav. AI5: Kellie Pickler
Fav. Fav. AI7: Carly Smithson

QUOTE(Treefroggiefreak @ Jan 6th 2012, 2:22 PM) *

Yeah I said this in Dia's thread. Her and Javier got ZERO promotion and could have sold probably the same amount of albums they did if they released it completely independent of The Voice with having never been on it. If the show doesn't start putting effort into their contestants, the talent level is only going to go down with nobody wanting to go on a show that doesn't do anything and that's going to spell a quick end for the series.

While I enjoyed The Voice infinitely more than Season 10 of American Idol and Season 1 of X-Factor US, the latter two shows have at least already had success with their contestants or are clearly on the path to make sure they try. The Voice just kind of used the contestants for the shows and then sent them on their way without a second glance.

I think a part of that may have been because it was the first season. A lot of things could have been improved with the first season and I kind of see the first season as a sort of a test run. I know that's not justifying little promo for their artists, but hear me out.

From what I heard somewhere before, they didn't even hold auditions for season one. They simply pulled in people who had agents around the area and were not signed to major labels. They gave them exposure, they gave them a record deal (in the cases of Dia, Javier, and Vicci whose album should be out in a few months), and they gave them a base to start off of. Granted, the promo aspect was lacking but then...the show was a bit last season as well.

This season they held national auditions, are pulling from a wider group (hopefully resulting in better talent), then they are giving them the exposure, a record deal to a few I'm sure, and hopefully going to promote them better at the end of the show. Plus the show is supposed to last longer this season so we will know the contestants better and there will be more time to gain fans and such.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it will all be the same after this season. But I will wait to pass judgement on their promotional intentions and stuff until after this season's winner and runner up release their music. yes.gif

I'm hoping that the purpose of the show can become more clear to people this season thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Blordin_FanGirl
post Jan 6th 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #5

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI6: JoCAKE

They said it from the start it was up to the artists after the show to figure out what they want to do. The coaches can only do so much especially when they're not in charge of what happens after. People here keep dissing The Voice, even before it started and it's been doing better than Idol when it comes to popularity and X-Factor as well( wasn't suppose to be this big ratings type of show?) lol. Anyways, you can complain and say they should get more promo but Javier has his own label, it's that label's job to give him promo. Not the Voice coaches themselves.

This post has been edited by Blordin_FanGirl: Jan 6th 2012, 10:29 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Treefroggiefreak
post Jan 7th 2012, 8:45 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Blordin_FanGirl @ Jan 6th 2012, 10:26 PM) *

They said it from the start it was up to the artists after the show to figure out what they want to do. The coaches can only do so much especially when they're not in charge of what happens after. People here keep dissing The Voice, even before it started and it's been doing better than Idol when it comes to popularity and X-Factor as well( wasn't suppose to be this big ratings type of show?) lol. Anyways, you can complain and say they should get more promo but Javier has his own label, it's that label's job to give him promo. Not the Voice coaches themselves.

I wasn't talking about the coaches. I'm talking about the people in charge of the show. I mean, have you even seen a promo that calls back to the winner of last season? unsure.gif If there is I haven't seen it and you'd think they would be trying to push that out.

It just looks terrible to have a talent competition where the people who make it to the end don't make a splash in the industry. Do you think Idol would've gone on like this if it weren't for people like Kelly and Carrie or the handful of others who have had at least a decent selling?

--------------------
IPB Image
Kristen O'Connor || Majesty York || Jillian Jensen || Sam Woolf || Alex Preston || George Lovett Hamilton
+Quote Post
Weedy Speedy
post Jan 7th 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Blordin_FanGirl @ Jan 6th 2012, 10:26 PM) *

So pretty much, it was as Treefroggiefreak said in that they only care about the contestants as far as the show is concerned, and once it's over they're just thrown completely to the wolves? Seems pretty anti-productive, don't you think?

And how is it doing better than Idol when it comes to popularity? I'll give you X Factor, but even then its ratings were pretty similar to what TV got and even got more viewers for its finale than TV did.

This post has been edited by Weedy Spyze: Jan 7th 2012, 11:42 AM

--------------------
Caleb winning is the last thing Idol needs? I think season 13 overall was the last thing Idol needed.
+Quote Post
D.J.
post Jan 7th 2012, 3:16 PM
Post #8

It's the labels responsibility when the show is over to take care of their artists. Not the show. But even Kelly wasn't that popular until Breakaway came out.

--------------------
"Humanity is premiering you jags."
+Quote Post
Treefroggiefreak
post Jan 7th 2012, 3:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(D.J. @ Jan 7th 2012, 3:16 PM) *

It's the labels responsibility when the show is over to take care of their artists. Not the show. But even Kelly wasn't that popular until Breakaway came out.

huh.gif laughing.gif

Thankful debuted at number 1 and has sold over 2 million copies. "A Moment Like This" was #1 and even broke the record for the highest billboard jump at the time going from #52 to #1 in a week. "Miss Independent" was #9 on the Billboard Top 100 and #1 on the Pop Charts. I'd say she was pretty popular before Breakaway. Breakaway just sent her to a new level.

And again, Idol THE SHOW pushed Kelly really hard with both their promos for their second season and actually featuring them a lot on the show. Kelly performed 3 times in Season 2 and had a segment featured on her filming From Justin To Kelly. Idol the show did a great job at promoting her.

Basically, if the show isn't going to really care about them after the show, it's useless compared to Idol and X-Factor who, despite lacking quality of their shows, do seem to really support their contestants.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Blordin_FanGirl
post Jan 7th 2012, 9:34 PM
Post #10

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI6: JoCAKE

QUOTE(D.J. @ Jan 7th 2012, 3:16 PM) *

This.

Also the Voice does promote them and still keep in contact with them. The coaches as well have helped out the people who were on their team and promoted them, even if it's on twitter or somewhere else. You guys might not like it and probably think they deserve more promo but like I said, it's up to the label and artist. Because they choose what type of record they want to do, not really the label.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
aifanatic100
post Jan 8th 2012, 5:04 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Treefroggiefreak @ Jan 7th 2012, 8:45 AM) *

It just looks terrible to have a talent competition where the people who make it to the end don't make a splash in the industry. Do you think Idol would've gone on like this if it weren't for people like Kelly and Carrie or the handful of others who have had at least a decent selling?

This is true. I believe that people involved in Idol have themselves said that if Kelly hadn't been successful then the show would not be where they are today. They had to prove with that first season that this wasn't just a talent show. They were discovering stars who would actually be stars in the music industry. Kelly did that for them. Had she won and had the success (or lack of) that Justin or Tamyra did in the recording industry, they would have lost credibility and probably not be going on their 11th season this year.

It's important to show that you are actually accomplishing something with these shows so that you can continue to bring in people who want to audition, as well as people who want to watch. If their winners and runner ups are going to release an album and go nowhere, that's not going to hold viewers.

This post has been edited by aifanatic100: Jan 8th 2012, 5:05 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
D.J.
post Jan 8th 2012, 8:00 PM
Post #12

The new season hasn't even started yet. I don't even know anyone can say the show hasn't supported them. For all we know they will bring back Javier, Dia or whoever to perform. You think AI is doing all that promo for Lauren and Scotty since the show? No. That's all their management/labels.

This post has been edited by D.J.: Jan 8th 2012, 8:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
aifanatic100
post Jan 8th 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(D.J. @ Jan 8th 2012, 8:00 PM) *

The new season hasn't even started yet. I don't even know anyone can say the show hasn't supported them. For all we know they will bring back Javier, Dia or whoever to perform. You think AI is doing all that promo for Lauren and Scotty since the show? No. That's all their management/labels.

Yeah I don't think the show is the big issue. It's the labels that they've gotten Javier and Dia signed with. Although...I don't remember what the prize is for The Voice. Was it said that a recording contract was the prize? Or was it money and exposure (and then an assumed contract?)? I have no idea. I don't really remember them specifying that the winner will get a record deal. If that's the case, then they wouldn't have a specific label that they send their winner to and therefore the show wouldn't have any influence on their promo or anything. It's 100% out of their hands. I'm sure that the two of them, maybe even Vicci and Beverly, will be invited back to perform.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Weedy Speedy
post Jan 9th 2012, 8:33 PM
Post #14

Well whoever's "responsibility" it is to promote whomever doesn't really matter, it still doesn't look good on the show if their alumni does less than impressive with their post-music careers. I'm not saying the show's not supporting them (I see posts on TV's facebook pimping Javier, Dia, Vicci, Bev, heck pretty much everyone), they just need to do a better job at it. Hopefully they will when the new season actually starts.

This post has been edited by Weedy Spyze: Jan 9th 2012, 8:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
chessguy99
post Jan 15th 2012, 8:29 AM
Post #15

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez

QUOTE(D.J. @ Jan 7th 2012, 2:16 PM) *

They are all on Universal Republic, not exactly one of the top labels in the UMG stable. Dia has been doing much of her own promo, with the help of Blake Shelton's people.

--------------------
We on a planet where there ain't no drama and the party's never ending
Idol: S3 Diana Degarmo, S4 Carrie Underwood, S5 Katharine McPhee, S6 Jordin Sparks, S7 Syesha, S8 Allison Iraheta, S9 Siobhan Magnus, S10 Haley Reinhart, S11 Jessica Sanchez, S13 Alex Preston
XF-UK: S4 Rhydian, S5 Diana Vickers, S6 Stacey Solomon, S7 Cher Lloyd, S8 Amelia Lily/Little Mix
The Voice: S1 Dia Frampton, S2 Juliet Simms, S3 Cassadee Pope/Melanie Martinez, S5 Jacquie Lee
XF-US: S1 Drew, S2 Tate Stevens
+Quote Post
D.J.
post Jan 15th 2012, 5:06 PM
Post #16

^ Which is the top label for UMG?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Sep 18th 2014, 2:41 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol