Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Candlestick
satchvai
post Dec 29th 2011, 6:19 PM
Post #41

Group: Members

Fav. King's X (Doug Pinnick)

Ok, to be fair to James, 99.9% of Rock/Metal albums are formed after a period of bands going through a process, working out riffs and songs on the road and going through a "trial by fire" period before they ever make it to vinyl. James didn't get that opportunity and he had to hope for the best from the label and producers at Wind Up to give him good material. Metal doesn't work that way. Its much more organic and visceral. Metal fans know that and that is why on the serious metal sites, he isn't getting much traction.

My personal opinion is his second album will be much more organic and "real" than the current one. That he and his band mates will have had time to gel together, throw out riffs and lyrics,, have their efforts critiqued by fans and produce some good music. I'll be honest in saying that MOABD sounds like it was thrown together in two weeks and I found his vox good but not as good as they can be. I heard the acoustic piece Heidi posted yesterday of him from 3 years ago and he sounds like a totally different singer. I was impressed.

I wanted to like his album, I really did. Good metal and rock albums are few and far between these days but I just found it too formulaic for my tastes in that genre. Here is to hoping that it sells well enough for him to continue to make music and produce a second album that really is "him".

Edit: I actually like that song, should have released that as his single.

This post has been edited by satchvai: Dec 29th 2011, 6:21 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Dec 29th 2011, 6:19 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

stooch
post Dec 29th 2011, 6:29 PM
Post #42

Well any issues I do have are put to rest with one song, because it shows me what he's capable of, to bad it was bonus track only available on itunes

Just in case this got lost as the last post on the previous page

--------------------
IPB Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tusk
post Dec 29th 2011, 6:33 PM
Post #43

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson

QUOTE(stooch @ Dec 29th 2011, 3:15 PM) *

Well any issues I do have are put to rest with one song, because it shows me what he's capable of

I wish the Altanta performance had sounded better, but having myself heard Page and Plant of Led Zepplin in a dome and having it have left a terrible memory for one of my favorite classic bands I understand the terrible acoustics in these echo chambers. I was impressed with the San Fransico performance, with all the acoustic performance at the begin I don't know what to say other than the two single didn't lend themselves to being played acoustically. I'm looking forward to seeing them perform more with electric guitars and pumpimg out the noise, I really want to see what they do with some of the other songs on their album.

Playing in a dome has all sorts of acoustic and presentation issues, and I pointed that out when I commented on his Atlanta video. I saw Pink Floyd years back in the Tacoma Dome...I could say it was terrible, but I'd have to add that, I was under some "influence" so my perception wasn't the sharpest. haha.gif . I saw the Eagles there too, and they didn't seem to have the same acoustic issues PF had.

The terrible performances I refered to were those acoustic performances, and you're right, they should have not been done acoustically and he looked like he just woke up. Not every song is made to be done acousticaly. There was another one about a week after that was a much better performance, and he appeared more alert and engaged.

I do like the song you posted a whole lot better, and will admit that I didn't/couldn't listen to James' whole album as the first three or four tracks just got me in a bad mood. I mean, I swear, will they please admit LMB is a clunker and stop pushing it? The song you posted, has much more energy and cohesion, and I could picture parts of it being used for some intense chase scene during a movie.

QUOTE(satchvai @ Dec 29th 2011, 3:19 PM) *

I wanted to like his album, I really did. Good metal and rock albums are few and far between these days but I just found it too formulaic for my tastes in that genre. Here is to hoping that it sells well enough for him to continue to make music and produce a second album that really is "him".

Edit: I actually like that song, should have released that as his single.

My thoughts 100%. I heard one early song, forget which one, sounded like it was written for the Jonas Bros. to perform bloated.gif

This post has been edited by Tusk: Dec 29th 2011, 6:49 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
stooch
post Dec 29th 2011, 7:33 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(Tusk @ Dec 29th 2011, 6:33 PM) *

Playing in a dome has all sorts of acoustic and presentation issues, and I pointed that out when I commented on his Atlanta video. I saw Pink Floyd years back in the Tacoma Dome...I could say it was terrible, but I'd have to add that, I was under some "influence" so my perception wasn't the sharpest. haha.gif . I saw the Eagles there too, and they didn't seem to have the same acoustic issues PF had.

The terrible performances I refered to were those acoustic performances, and you're right, they should have not been done acoustically and he looked like he just woke up. Not every song is made to be done acousticaly. There was another one about a week after that was a much better performance, and he appeared more alert and engaged.

I do like the song you posted a whole lot better, and will admit that I didn't/couldn't listen to James' whole album as the first three or four tracks just got me in a bad mood. I mean, I swear, will they please admit LMB is a clunker and stop pushing it? The song you posted, has much more energy and cohesion, and I could picture parts of it being used for some intense chase scene during a movie.
My thoughts 100%. I heard one early song, forget which one, sounded like it was written for the Jonas Bros. to perform bloated.gif

They released 3 bonus track not available on the album, I guess I didn't get the memo when the recording industry decided that only 11 track can be placed on an album lol

There's also another track called "Crawling Home" it's not on youtube. These three songs are among the best he made, too bad they decided not to put them on the album. And yes I'm not a fan of LMB one of my least favorite songs on the album but I'm able to listen to the whole at a time without skipping songs. Like Satchvai says I think there next album we be more cohesive I just personally believe that there are some better songs that I as a fan can help promote to get him a bigger base for the next release. For me the metal deal is kinda gone but I consider metal music a little differently. You can say a band like Motley crue and GNR were metal bands and by definition that's true, but when I think metal I don't think of them. The rock genre just take a little to build a following, that's all

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
durnet
post Dec 29th 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #45

Finally a serious conversation about James and Haley with real constructive criticism sorcerer.gif

The acoustic performances yeah, some of them sucked and part of the reason is that most of the songs on MOABD are not meant to be performed acoustically. I was thinking about this quite a lot recently and realized something. Most TV sets & radio stations aren't equipped for full on electric plugged performances which puts rock and especially metal artists at a distinct disadvantage and no doubt influences the labels on what music the album will have and what songs are released as singles. I believe this is one reason why James couldn't go the metal route, how will he be able to promote metal songs in those settings, acoustically? IMO playing metal acoustically is blasphemy, I'm sorry but I want to hear a song the way it's supposed to sound and I'm extremely pissed at the mainstream's blatant discrimination against heavy music! And what's the point of performing a song acoustically for a radio station anyway? It's not like they're gonna play the acoustic performance, they're gonna play the studio recording, it really makes no sense to me.

The Atlanta performance yes was terrible by James' standards but the venue does not allow for rock acts to shine. Also what often gets overlooked is that James is in fact Idol's youngest rocker, he is much younger than Daughtry, Cook & Lambert and hasn't had the years of experience performing comparable to theirs. James is now doing stuff he's never done before, performing in a huge "echo chamber" stadium is a far cry from performing in an small underground club. Stuff goes wrong technically in live performances all the time that can throw the singer and the band off course, I know for a fact that there were technical problems during this performance because James told me so via DM but I won't quote his words here cause DMs are private.

As for the album. My musical tastes are eclectic so I love it and I love James' voice, I would've have been happy with an all metal album or an all hard rock album but I'm happy with this too. However I don't love every song on MOABD. I think HTH, LIR, RBY, Deeper, May, Outcast, Liberate & CH are good songs and all of them are radio friendly too but the only song I would consider "epic" is BFM. Now that song is a multi-layered musical masterpiece, it's unique and original, I've never heard anything else like it and hope that his next album will go more in that direction (it's another song he co-wrote). I also believe that James' next album will be better now that he has his band and is starting to write songs on his own. I hope James will become one of those artists where each album gets better and is more successful than the last one, he's talented, he's capable, it's possible.

--------------------
Fave Contestants: James Durbin (AI10), Juliet Simms (TV2), Dilana (Rock Star: Supernova) Fave Artists: 2Pac, Alanis Morissette, Amy Winehouse, Beck, BjŲrk, Busta Rhymes, Dido, Ellie Goulding, Emeli Sandť, Enya, Frank Ocean, Jack White, Janelle MonŠe, Jessie Ware, Jewel, Lenny Kravitz, Lana Del Rey, Lily Allen, M.I.A., Michael Jackson, The Notorious B.I.G., Rob Zombie, Sarah McLachlan, Shaggy, Shakira, Snoop Dogg, Tracy Chapman, The Weekend Fave Groups: Air, Basement Jaxx, Beastie Boys, The Chemical Brothers, Cypress Hill, Daft Punk, Enigma, Faithless, The Fugees, Gorillaz, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Massive Attack, OutKast, The Prodigy, Wu-Tang Clan Fave Bands: Alice in Chains, The Black Keys, Dream Theater, Florence + The Machine, Foo Fighters, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Halestorm, The Heavy, Incubus, Metallica, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Portishead, Queensrˇche, R.E.M., Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, System of a Down, Tool, U2
+Quote Post
durnet
post Dec 29th 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #46

There was a vid of Crawling Home on YouTube a while back put it got pulled. I did manage to find another one that includes the song:

--------------------
Fave Contestants: James Durbin (AI10), Juliet Simms (TV2), Dilana (Rock Star: Supernova) Fave Artists: 2Pac, Alanis Morissette, Amy Winehouse, Beck, BjŲrk, Busta Rhymes, Dido, Ellie Goulding, Emeli Sandť, Enya, Frank Ocean, Jack White, Janelle MonŠe, Jessie Ware, Jewel, Lenny Kravitz, Lana Del Rey, Lily Allen, M.I.A., Michael Jackson, The Notorious B.I.G., Rob Zombie, Sarah McLachlan, Shaggy, Shakira, Snoop Dogg, Tracy Chapman, The Weekend Fave Groups: Air, Basement Jaxx, Beastie Boys, The Chemical Brothers, Cypress Hill, Daft Punk, Enigma, Faithless, The Fugees, Gorillaz, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Massive Attack, OutKast, The Prodigy, Wu-Tang Clan Fave Bands: Alice in Chains, The Black Keys, Dream Theater, Florence + The Machine, Foo Fighters, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Halestorm, The Heavy, Incubus, Metallica, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Portishead, Queensrˇche, R.E.M., Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, System of a Down, Tool, U2
+Quote Post
Tusk
post Dec 29th 2011, 8:00 PM
Post #47

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson

And that's why I have to question who's driving James' bus? I have to believe it wasn't James' idea to do an indoor, acoustic, soft..."metal song"??? wacko.gif I completely agree, most metal songs aren't meant to be acoustic.
Really only Metal legends get away with "unplugging" their famous metal songs. Newer bands just come off as self indulgent.

I feel bad because that was one of the first "public" appearances for James, post Idol, and an opportunity lost. sad.gif

Haley can get away with doing that 'cause she doesn't even need musical accompaniment, maybe a guitar. She can power it up like she did on tour, or tone it down, jazz it up like she did with the xmas single. Her style allows it. James style makes it more challenging to do intimate settings 'well'
QUOTE(stooch @ Dec 29th 2011, 4:33 PM) *

You can say a band like Motley crue and GNR were metal bands and by definition that's true, but when I think metal I don't think of them. The rock genre just take a little to build a following, that's all

I consider (the original line up)GnR as close to Metal as Rock gets, and Motley Crue to be the single Hair Band of that era to be considered serious Rockers,all other Hair Bands just followed MC's lead (Sorry Poison fans).

This post has been edited by Tusk: Dec 29th 2011, 8:09 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
JoCeeisme
post Dec 30th 2011, 6:27 AM
Post #48

fear2.gif I thought I had stumbled into a Haley thread there for a moment....... flowers.gif As for the album, I love it,there is only one song that I am not too fond of and I love the three bonus tracks, they are in my top five preferred tracks. Apart from some of the songs from the album not being good acoustically, I wonder how much his tourettes and aspergers had to do with his poor performances at the beginning. I remember James saying for instance that he had an interview that was supposed to last 15 and it ended up taking 40 minutes because of his conditions. Not trying to make excuses but his conditions have got to have some impact on him and it must have been a stressful time getting the band together and flying around all over the place, doing lots of interviews etc. And weren't most of those first performances done in the one day? He will have more misteps as he comes to grips with all this, hope he doesn't let any of it get him down too much. I will be a faithfull fan no matter what, looking forward to this next year, I think it will be fun original.gif

This post has been edited by JoCeeisme: Dec 30th 2011, 6:28 AM

--------------------
Favourite idols: Kris Allen and James Durbin.
+Quote Post
JoCeeisme
post Dec 30th 2011, 6:32 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(durnet @ Dec 29th 2011, 7:41 PM) *

There was a vid of Crawling Home on YouTube a while back put it got pulled. I did manage to find another one that includes the song:

Crawling home is my fav song but that video is unavailable to me angry.gif

--------------------
Favourite idols: Kris Allen and James Durbin.
+Quote Post
Naira
post Dec 30th 2011, 9:50 AM
Post #50

Group: NX Subscribers

Are there really Haley fans who think the Durbs are still bitter about James finishing 4th? wacko.gif WhoTF cares anymore? And what difference does it make whether you finished 3rd or 4th? Seriously! The season's been over for months, and the new season is starting in 3 weeks... unsure.gif

Or is it because of Interscope? We know James was already rebelling against what Jimmy had in store for him during Idol, and it shouldn't come as a surprise he decided this kind of association wouldn't be good for him, despite its potential for being more lucrative. With WindUp, the promo sucks as we've all seen, but it seems he was confident he'd have more freedom with them in the long run. He obviously had to make some concessions for his debut album, but there's no way Jimmy would've let him record an album like MOABD. IMO, MOABD is a very solid album, with only a couple tracks I skip over. James said many times his monetary ambitions weren't big, just enough to be able to support his family while singing for a living, and I believe him. Had he been interested in making money, he would've let himself be molded into whatever Jimmy wanted to. Not to mention Interscope is no guarantee either. Look at everything they've done for Pia. It still didn't help her. noexpression.gif

James' #1 goal now is probably to be able to make a sophomore album. MOABD already sold 70K and is still selling in spite of the total lack of promo, so I think it's still in the cards for him. Yes his disabilities are a huge challenge at this stage, and he still has to find a way to better deal with stress as it aggravates his condition. I hope those around him on the business side are getting tips on how to deal with and help people like him.

My main beef with James post idol is the acoustic set up (whether it was a financial decision or for whatever other reason, it was a bad one,) and the fact that Blake and Dylan are in desperate need of vocal coaching. noexpression.gif Them doing backup vocals was a terrible idea, I doubt Jeff or Ty could be any worse, so I hope they get a shot at it while Dylan and Blake are at singing bootcamp. The band needs more time to become more cohesive. James also needs more overall experience, but he's still very young, and given the chance, I'm sure he'll get there. One of my New Year's wishes for James is for WindUp to forget about LMB and start promoting a new single, and really ANY other track on the album would do... sorcerer.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
durnet
post Dec 30th 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #51

I for one very much doubt Jimmy would've allowed songs like Love In Ruins or Outcast to make the cut. I doubt he even would've allowed James to write with Hardcore Superstar, a band he's probably never even heard of, or Mick Mars to play on the album cause he's not current. Jimmy only cares about what's current and what sells, and I've seen nothing from him to make me believe otherwise.

And I hope Wind-up give us fans the choice to vote for the next single and take note that HTH & May are the top selling songs on iTunes.

ETA: And is anyone else suspicious why the music video for Stand Up, which was filmed during the promo trip in NY, still hasn't been released?

This post has been edited by durnet: Dec 30th 2011, 10:17 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
satchvai
post Dec 30th 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(JoCeeisme @ Dec 30th 2011, 6:27 AM) *

fear2.gif I thought I had stumbled into a Haley thread there for a moment....... flowers.gif As for the album, I love it,there is only one song that I am not too fond of and I love the three bonus tracks, they are in my top five preferred tracks. Apart from some of the songs from the album not being good acoustically, I wonder how much his tourettes and aspergers had to do with his poor performances at the beginning. I remember James saying for instance that he had an interview that was supposed to last 15 and it ended up taking 40 minutes because of his conditions. Not trying to make excuses but his conditions have got to have some impact on him and it must have been a stressful time getting the band together and flying around all over the place, doing lots of interviews etc. And weren't most of those first performances done in the one day? He will have more misteps as he comes to grips with all this, hope he doesn't let any of it get him down too much. I will be a faithfull fan no matter what, looking forward to this next year, I think it will be fun original.gif

Haley fans are human too:) thumbsup.gif

I understand the whole Tourettes/Aspergers thing but if his management is looking out for his best interest, I'm thinking they aren't putting him in ideal situations to promote him if that is the case. I know many Durbinators in the early going were excited about Wind-Up, not only because of their Rock vibe of the label, but also because one of their biggest acts suffered from a similar condition with Amy Lee. My personal opinion is one I alluded to earlier. I don't think at that time they had gelled and felt confident with the songs outside of the Studio. Remember its new material and truly getting a song tight takes a matter of time. Plus, as another poster mentioned, they're trying to unplug it when they've only performed it plugged.

I'm glad you're a hardcore fan, he will need them moving forward. I also think for his fans, the next year will be fun if he goes on Tour. I think the guy is a riot when he performs and gives off a lot of positive energy.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Naira
post Dec 30th 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(durnet @ Dec 30th 2011, 10:14 AM) *

I for one very much doubt Jimmy would've allowed songs like Love In Ruins or Outcast to make the cut. I doubt he even would've allowed James to write with Hardcore Superstar, a band he's probably never even heard of, or Mick Mars to play on the album cause he's not current. Jimmy only cares about what's current and what sells, and I've seen nothing from him to make me believe otherwise.

And I hope Wind-up give us fans the choice to vote for the next single and take note that HTH & May are the top selling songs on iTunes.

ETA: And is anyone else suspicious why the music video for Stand Up, which was filmed during the promo trip in NY, still hasn't been released?

HTH or May would surely be the safest choices considering they're the most popular. I wouldn't expect them to pick Back For More, although it's my favorite track. happy.gif

About the Stand Up video, Dylan mentioned a few days ago that he'd seen some of the editing. Releasing something right now doesn't make much sense anyway. They'll probably wait for after the holidays, or the next "promo."

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
stooch
post Dec 30th 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(Naira @ Dec 30th 2011, 10:24 AM) *

HTH or May would surely be the safest choices considering they're the most popular. I wouldn't expect them to pick Back For More, although it's my favorite track. happy.gif

About the Stand Up video, Dylan mentioned a few days ago that he'd seen some of the editing. Releasing something right now doesn't make much sense anyway. They'll probably wait for after the holidays, or the next "promo."

I think the video things is just LMB video is already out and it's a little different than radio, video of various genre are usually played in the same medium and they already have LMB out thumbsup.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
durnet
post Dec 30th 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #55

QUOTE(satchvai @ Dec 30th 2011, 5:22 PM) *

Haley fans are human too:) thumbsup.gif

Haley fans and other fans are welcome here as long as the convos are like this, i.e. serious, intelligent convos with constructive criticism that is actually useful.

A few weeks back I was in Scotty's folder talking to them about James' song May, as a result of posting there by accident. They were very sweet and offered interesting insights and I thanked them for their hospitality.

If however other fans wanna spew smack to/about James & his fans on twitter, post bashing on YouTube, MJs, Vote For the Worst, etc. then yes we're gonna be pissed off. We can't stop anyone from doing these things but those who choose to do them should not be surprised if we get angry about it and rant about it in our private groups.

This post has been edited by durnet: Dec 30th 2011, 11:45 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
satchvai
post Dec 30th 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(durnet @ Dec 30th 2011, 11:40 AM) *

Haley fans and other fans are welcome here as long as the convos are like this, i.e. serious, intelligent convos with constructive criticism that is actually useful.

A few weeks back I was in Scotty's folder talking to them about James' song May, as a result of posting there by accident. They were very sweet and offered interesting insights and I thanked them for their hospitality.

If however other fans wanna spew smack to/about James & his fans on twitter, post bashing on YouTube, MJs, Vote For the Worst, etc. then yes we're gonna be pissed off. We can't stop anyone from doing these things but those who choose to do them should not be surprised if we get angry about it and rant about it in our private groups.

God forgive me but I just defended James on MJ's..lol! I couldn't let it go, they were trying to say singing Beatles tunes with his friends was harming his career? WTF?

This post has been edited by satchvai: Dec 30th 2011, 11:52 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Naira
post Dec 30th 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #57

^^Holy crap! I just saw the latest James Durbin & The White Album Ensemble videos. Wow! That's the James I got to love on the show. What a difference a band makes!!! James has been playing with them for years, and it shows! He's so much better with them, so much more comfortable. That's not a diss at his new band, but damn... the difference is striking... omg.gif

James Durbin & The White Album Ensemble

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ClaireClassy
post Dec 30th 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #58

James singing a Beatles song last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=m4XERWvktMU

--------------------
+Quote Post
satchvai
post Dec 30th 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #59

How come I have a feeling I'll get "moderated" if I keep defending your boy over there? *sigh* haha.gif haha.gif

And, yes, he sounded great.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
stooch
post Dec 30th 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #60

NvM

This post has been edited by stooch: Dec 30th 2011, 12:32 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Nov 21st 2014, 1:02 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol