Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flying by with the Butterfly Bandit - Performance Show - 08/01/06
ButterflyBandit
post Aug 1st 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

“Are You Ready for a New Sensation?”

I think it’s safe to say by week five that favorites are stepping up to the plate for most of us. Some like people the majority can’t stand. Some hate the people the majority loves. That’s just how this game rolls. This year, I’ve finally picked my favorites, and I really hope that they (Toby, Dilana, Dana, Zayra, Patrice, Josh, Storm and Magni) bring it.

What?

I can’t have eight favorites? Says who? Hmph.

As Brooke emerges from … wherever she comes from … she looks like one would imagine. She’s wearing this dressy-dominatrix-bar wench getup that is nothing but hot. She introduces the rockers, the Mad Hatters, Dave and his . . .gargoyle? Then Tommy Lee informs us he’s going to play on his “fuzzy, fuzzy drums.” (Insert joke about his testicles here)

BATM - Magni watches a video of his baby taking its first steps back home in Iceland. It’s seventy different shades of adorable. Josh gives Patrice “Higher Ground” in a move that sounds good on paper but might not be in execution. And, for added measure, Ryan calls Patrice a you-know-what, cementing his place as Lukas’ understudy.

Speaking of Patrice, she’s up first with Tommy backing her on the RHCP ’s cover of Stevie Wonder’s “Higher Ground.” Did they hire Ty to take over for Ellie Mae? She is vocally on spot with this song, but, I just can’t see her making a career over what she just did, especially now that I’ve seen Tommy behind her. Dave confirms my thoughts when he says 8 of them would disappear in front of Tommy and the gang. This does not bode well for more than half of them, Patrice maybe included. Tommy and Gilby - the ones who matter more than Dave - thought she killed it.

Josh comes out next with Sublime’s “Santeria.” I have heard this song before, but I didn’t know it was Sublime. I’m not awfully familiar with them, aside from still having the shirt of an ex who practically worshiped them. Alas, he sucked in bed, so it’d serve me best to just burn it, since it’s only collecting dust in the back of my clos--oh, I’m supposed to be talking about Josh now, right? I dug this, and thought he changed it up, but it was still in his comfort zone. Dave and Tommy like his sound while Jason appreciates his musicality.

Dilana closes out the first block of performances with “Can’t Get Enough” by Bad Company. My first thoughts? “Wow, I love the rawness of her voice.” My second thoughts? “She must’ve been in Dave’s closet with Zayra.” Suspicion confirmed when Dave - after Dilana goes through the crowd and sings to him and the Mad Hatters - asks if she’s wearing his pants. Poor Zayra. Now Dilana’s stolen the second part of her act. (Jill stole the first part with the average-sucky vocals).

Toby’s doing time in the bottom three after “Pennyroyal Tea” by Nirvana. This makes week five of hearing Nirvana songs, and he’s probably the worst of the five. I love Toby, we all know this, I’d marry him and have his Australian babies in a second. However, this performance felt very rushed, with an awkward ending and a completely contrived sense when he spent most of it in the audience macking on some strange girl. No, I’m not just jealous it wasn’t me. I have my affair with Faux-Depp as a backup. I’m only disappointed he didn’t do something a bit …more … with this song. This was his Jill-out.

Zayra dials “867-5309,” calling Jenny for Tommy Tutone. Vocally? No. The only thing I got from this performance was that she’d be a shoo-in if she used the tape from tonight as he audition video for Cinemax’s production of “Batgirl.” I couldn’t pay attention to her, because of all of the squatting in that outfit. I was waiting for a “fuzzy love” moment. Dave needs time to process. Tommy needs 6 minutes (yeah, yeah, we get it . . .the same amount of time Dave needed to watch one of Brooke’s workout tapes). When we come back from break, they tell her as much as I’ve said about how off her vocals were, but defend keeping her over Phil because of how she’s always changing it up. It doesn’t matter. We’ll most likely see her sing tomorrow.

Magni and Coldplay’s “Clocks” are a perfect fit -- until he hits those high notes. Those left me wondering who stuffed Ace Young’s falsetto into Chris Daughtry’s body. Those notes were rough, but the overall performance was great. He gets a solid “two wings up” from me. The Mad Hatters dug it and tell him they’re going to fly his family out to be with him. Magni cries, I cry, and I hate myself for being such a girl.

“Don’t You Forget About Me” and Jill go together like . . .nuns and gonorrhea. Simple Minds had a great song when they did this. Jill had a train wreck of massive proportions. She can get off my screen anytime now. The Mad Hatters think she’s better than this, and I disagree. I think this is all she knows, and because of that, I want her gone.

Ryan strips down “Losing My Religion” by REM, and, I loved it. I thought it was nice vocally, his piano playing was great, the softness and the brooding ness of it at the same time complimented the show well and displayed his strengths when weeks before have showcased his weaknesses. The only thing that was off for me was the fact that I hate him and how he’s such a jerk to the girls in this competition. But, the performance was good. Definitely encore material. Excuse me while I go wash my mouth out with acid now.

“Celebrity Skin” and Hole are NOT a good glove on Lukas’ hand. He seemed like such an amateur on that stage. I haven’t been a fan of his since “Rebel Yell” week one, but this was just *bad*. He kept his back turned 85% of the time, his vocals were just not there, and, his job (which was to make me think good things of his interpretation of the song) only made me long for Hole. And, I hate Hole. The Mad Hatters agree he wasn’t there tonight, and he whines that he “wasn’t comfortable with the lyrics.” Boohoo. Your apprentice upstaged you. Go cry about it. I’m sure Magni will share his tissues.

Storm changes “Changes” by David Bowie and, for the first time, I think I’ll start a riot if she isn’t leading this band by the end of this season. Her vocals are just lovely, she looks great, and she proved she can tone it down. This was, as the Mad Hatters called it, “classy” and I just can’t get over how stunning she was and how stunningly she performed tonight. Great job.

Dana closes the show with “Baba O’Riley” by the Who, and I like her, but I think she took a step back from last week. The attitude was still there, I just felt it was more forced than it was last week, especially with her little speech at the end about how she’s getting a tattoo. I did like this, though, it just wasn’t my favorite from her. It should be enough to save her another week.

Early Bottom Three: Toby (AHHH!), Zayra, and Jill
My Bottom Three: Lukas, Jill, Zayra - with Jill going, hopefully.

Encore? Ryan. There’s no one else.

--------------------
IPB Image
Banner by me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Aug 1st 2006, 9:42 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

CloudFuel
post Aug 2nd 2006, 8:09 AM
Post #2

Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry
Fav. Judge: Simon Cowell
Fav. AI7: David Cook

Another fantastical review by the lovely butterfly bandit! original.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ButterflyBandit
post Aug 2nd 2006, 9:03 AM
Post #3

*bows* Thank you, thank you.

--------------------
IPB Image
Banner by me.
+Quote Post
sweetangel1051
post Aug 2nd 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #4

Fav. AI5: Chris Daughtry
Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert
Fav. AI5: Elliott Yamin

Thanks for this recap!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Insanitic
post Aug 2nd 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #5

Fav. AI6: Melinda Doolittle
Fav. AI8: Adam Lambert
Fav. TV: BSG

Another cool review! original.gif

i liked this bit:
Excuse me while I go wash my mouth out with acid now.
laughing.gif

--------------------
“Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” - Cecil Beaton
+Quote Post
ButterflyBandit
post Aug 2nd 2006, 8:31 PM
Post #6

I'm glad you guys enjoy what I do. =) Makes it more worthwhile.

--------------------
IPB Image
Banner by me.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Sep 30th 2014, 6:52 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol