Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

2 Pages V  1 2 >   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Not So De-Lovely Show, Top 7 : The Standards Recap
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 3:21 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

Week by week, new themes are thrown at the competitors, and most take it by storm. This week, it was The Standards, and if you were expecting a snooze fest, you didn’t find one.

First for the night is none other than Suzi Rawn! She’s singing “Minnie The Moocher” by Cab Calloway. Now, if you’re like me, the connection from “Minnie The Moocher” to Tamyra Gray just automatically begins, and let me say, if we’re comparing Suzi to Tamyra, Tamyra won, hands down. Suzi looks more like a… well, a word I honestly won’t say, and she moves very rag-doll like. Her arms just flop around and if you first saw her, you’d think she was drunk. Her vocals aren’t amazing, but they aren’t super bad. Jake said she has her own style, and Farley said it was awesome and fun. Zack went on to say it was good, and Sass just… giggled. Okay, two weeks Sass sang, and this week she giggled. Next week, I think she might just crawl around and burp like a little baby.

And if you thought there’d be no more speak of babies on this show, next was Aaron Walpole, who really does have a baby face. He’s singing “I Can’t Believe You’re In Love With Me” by Dean Martin. And I must say, he’s looking like a pimp, but in a studly way. He’s really taking the theme in, and putting himself out there, but still with a bit of theatrics. One thing I notice, though, the song is very low key. Like, he pretty much sings the same three notes over and over again. When he gets into the dancing, that’s when it gets borderline creepy slash fun. Farley said Aaron was himself, Sass said she was impressed by his skill and that he’s supposed to do that (not so sure about exactly what she said, couldn’t catch it). Zack had both good and bad news, the good being both were fantastic, the bad being Sass. Okay then. Jake finishes off by saying Aaron can sing and dance. Last time Jake said that was to Ashley Leitao, Top 10 night. She was eliminated week after. Some foreshadowing?

The third performer of the night is none other than Melissa O’Neil! She’s singing “It’s De-Lovely” by Ella Fitzgerald, and I must say, she really composes herself to fit Big Band. She sings and moves around and is playful but at the same time sophisticated. Vocally, she can’t hit some of the high notes as well as she should have, but it was by far the best performance of the night, so far. That being said, we’ve only heard three performances. But, I do notice that at the end, she seemed to have given up. She just stands there and is very plain. I don’t know if she thought it was over or something, but it wasn’t a great ending to a great performances. Sass said Melissa is the best singer on the show, Zack said she is a classic and a serious contender to win this thing, Jake said he’s glad she’s on the show, and Farley finishes by saying she looked like she belonged in that time, and did it with ease. Good comments, yet again, for Melissa, but we’ll have to see if Canada will agree.

The next contestant to hit the stage is Josh Palmer, and he’s singing “When I Fall In Love” by Diane Schurr. Now, when I first saw him, I got kind of scared, since his hair is like Conan O’Brien gone wrong. The suit’s pretty cool though. And he doesn’t go all psycho artist on us this time, so it was probably the easiest Josh performance to watch. I just didn’t like how he, yet again, ended a performance with a long high note. I mean, he can hit those high notes great, but it’s getting a bit repetitive. Zack is impressed by Josh, saying he was breath taken, and that he’s happy to have him on the show. Jake tells Josh he’s handsome and has amazing eyes, since his hair is out of his eyes, and the performance was spectacular. And I thought Sass was a fan girl. Farley says Josh is often in a flat tone, but he sang that soft and sweet, and it fit the song perfectly. Sass finishes by saying it was dark, mysterious and that he is a contemporary idol.

The fifth performer of the night is Rex Goudie, and he’s singing Michael Bublé’s “Feelin’ Good.” Can he get any more predictable? Or should I say can he get any sharper? He starts of really flat, and then when he gets into the higher notes, it goes totally out of whack and is sharp. And I noticed that he tried to get into the song, but he really didn’t look comfortable. I wasn’t too impressed with Rex, like always, but when Rex went into those loud, shouting notes at the end… but, I digress, since the judges again loved him. Jake said he made the song his own and it was his best vocal performance. Farley told Rex he was a natural and if he’s having fun on stage, we’re having fun. Yeah, I didn’t. Sass said everyone’s blowing her away, and Zack said he wanted to copy The Amazing Race, and eliminate no one. Thankfully, this isn’t The Amazing Race, because some of these people really need to go home.

One of the people who seems to be the favourite of both bashers and lovers is Casey LeBlanc, whose singing “I Could Write A Book” by Dinah Washington. She looks absolutely beautiful, and her eyes really stand out against her black ensemble, but her vocals don’t really compete with her outfit. She starts off good, and pretty comfortable, but she kept moving around as if she had no spine, like an eel. And then when she went into the chorus, she really started to run out of breath. And then it happened. “It” being the voice crack. The first crack was just an annoyance, but then the second crack made the note waver quite a bit and the poor girl just seemed to have lost motivation to continue on. Right after that, Casey looked like she wanted to finish the song, and that didn’t help the entire performance. Farley said she looked great, but it was a safe performance. Sass agreed with Farley, adding in it wasn’t her genre, and Zack said one line in the middle of the song was quite spectacular, and she looked great. Finishing off was Jake, saying it didn’t feel right, not knowing why. If you don’t know why, why tell her? That just makes her more nervous…

The last performer of the night is Daryl Brunt, whose singing “What A Wonderful World” by the million people who’ve sung it before. Names like Louis Armstrong, Guy Sebastian and Vince Benenati come to mind. While singing, he tries to be sultry and sophisticated, but comes off childish and unconfident. Trying to save his performance, he makes jazz hands while saying “pretty.” Okay, that didn’t really save it as much as make me giggle. It’s like, Snooze Fest for 2005, except with good vocals. I mean, good vocals in the performance, but can you get any more boring? Sass said it was odd, and that he was flat on the higher notes. Also something about Pee Wee Herman… giving Sass the oddest comments I’ve ever heard on Idol. Zack said it was tiny talent time, him and Casey are on a different TV show than the rest. Jake said it was one of the cheesiest performances he’s ever seen, and Farley didn’t feel that Daryl won him over. Daryl begins to tear up, and I giggle. Oh, I’m so heartless.

All in all, it was a good show, until the last three performances. My personal top three, in performance order, would be Aaron Walpole, Melissa O’Neil and Josh Palmer. My personal bottom three, in order of performances, would be Rex Goudie, Casey LeBlanc and Daryl Brunt. Thankfully, Canada got the results right this time. Until then, I’m Jordan, and I hope you enjoyed my recap.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cheyenne
post Aug 13th 2005, 3:38 PM
Post #2

Group: Members

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI6: Blake Lewis

Great recap Jor clap.gif

I think Zack was being sarcastic and meant the voice crack line with his comment, but meh not sure ph34rwave.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 3:41 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(Cheyenne @ Aug 13th 2005, 1:38 PM)
Great recap Jor clap.gif

I think Zack was being sarcastic and meant the voice crack line with his comment, but meh not sure  ph34rwave.gif

Thanks Chey. huggy.gif

Oh. roll.gif well, I totaly missed that. lmao.gif Poor Casey. sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Cheyenne
post Aug 13th 2005, 3:45 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(dianadegarmo4eva @ Aug 13th 2005, 1:41 PM)
Thanks Chey.  huggy.gif

Oh. roll.gif well, I totaly missed that. lmao.gif Poor Casey. sad.gif

I realized that when I wrote recap, but I didn't feel like pointing it out, I hate giving the judges too much recap time ph34rwave.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
*Wallace
post Aug 13th 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. AI12: Candice Glover
Fav. AI13: Dexter Roberts

Great recap, JorJor! I agree with you and I watched all the performances and comments. Yay me!

Sass does have some odd things to say. She is worse than Paula. laughing.gif

I agree with Melissa and Aaron as part of the Top 3. I liked Josh but didn't love it like you did. I agree with your bottom 3, even though I love Casey.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Imageai13: emily. malaya. caleb. kristen. dexter. jessica. jena. | dwts18: meryl/maks. charlie/sharna. amy/derek. danica/val. james/peta. cody/witney. candace/mark. | tar24: brendon/rachel. caroline/jennifer. dave/connor. | sur28: tasha. spencer. woo. morgan. | bbc2: neda. adel. ika. jon. heather. | sytycdau4: patric. ashleigh. jay. michael. renelle. lauren. eden. zoey. | credit: Elliott for the av.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(Cheyenne @ Aug 13th 2005, 1:45 PM)
I realized that when I wrote recap, but I didn't feel like pointing it out, I hate giving the judges too much recap time  ph34rwave.gif

You shoulda told me on AIM! shocked.gif I so totally didn't notice that. That's so rude of Zack sad.gif laughing.gif And I agree. I hate doing judges parts, since it takes away from the recap itself tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(*Wallace @ Aug 13th 2005, 1:57 PM)
Great recap, JorJor! I agree with you and I watched all the performances and comments. Yay me!

Sass does have some odd things to say. She is worse than Paula.  laughing.gif

I agree with Melissa and Aaron as part of the Top 3. I liked Josh but didn't love it like you did. I agree with your bottom 3, even though I love Casey.

Thanks *! huggy.gif

And I didn't like Josh a ton, but he was the 3rd best of the night, for me. tongue.gif and I'm just glad Casey was B3 and not Elimd', since she desrved B3, but she deserved another week as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
bumnummies
post Aug 13th 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #8

Group: Blend Artists

Good Recap - again, I liked Rex though. (and Suzi.)

--------------------
MY NAME IS JENN. | COME VISIT ME ON TUMBLR OK? | or TWITTER | VERSION: COLCHELE.
IPB Image
| GLEE: Rachel. Kurt. Blaine. Tina. Santana. Sam. Brittany. And Everyone Else. :) | OH and I make stuff: REDBUBBLE |
+Quote Post
Gary
post Aug 13th 2005, 6:22 PM
Post #9

Fav. AI5: Elliott Yamin
Fav. AI8: Kris Allen
Fav. SYTYCD5: Jeanine Mason

Great review, Jor! clap.gif Disagreed on Rex's comemnts and agreed with Suzi's costume but I liked "Minnie the Moocher."

Can't wait to see Top 6 week's! w00t.gif

--------------------
a b r a c a d a b r a :: i love me some brown eyed girls.
IPB Image
[signature :: lj] [demi lovato was amazing :: 08/04/09] [the music man ♫] IPB Image
+Quote Post
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 6:22 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(bumnummies @ Aug 13th 2005, 3:05 PM)
Good Recap - again, I liked Rex though. (and Suzi.)

Thanks. happy.gif And of course tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 6:23 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(MonkeyMasterTao9 @ Aug 13th 2005, 4:22 PM)
Great review, Jor! clap.gif Disagreed on Rex's comemnts and agreed with Suzi's costume but I liked "Minnie the Moocher."

Can't wait to see Top 6 week's! w00t.gif

its not letting me quote yours so i'll individually reply to you, Gary! bleh.gif

Thanks! happy.gif And of course bleh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Gary
post Aug 13th 2005, 6:30 PM
Post #12

But it quoted mine shocked.gif shocked.gif unsure.gif Don't know what you're talking about haha.gif

We need more reviews in the recap forum shocked.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
[signature :: lj] [demi lovato was amazing :: 08/04/09] [the music man ♫] IPB Image
+Quote Post
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

blink2.gif k, quotes are retarded. laughing.gif

And there have only been... 2, 4, 6, 8... 8 episodes. Chey doens't do results, meaning max of 4 from her. I'm not doing Top 9 [Ashley crying.gif ], so that's a max of 6 from me. Loe hasn't done.. any... noexpression.gif pinch.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Cheyenne
post Aug 13th 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(dianadegarmo4eva @ Aug 13th 2005, 4:50 PM)
blink2.gif k, quotes are retarded. laughing.gif

And there have only been... 2, 4, 6, 8... 8 episodes. Chey doens't do results, meaning max of 4 from her. I'm not doing Top 9 [Ashley crying.gif ], so that's a max of 6 from me. Loe hasn't done.. any... noexpression.gif pinch.gif

Yeah one results show recap is enough imo original.gif

Yeah Loe hasn't done any yet ermm.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
claymate37
post Aug 13th 2005, 8:35 PM
Post #15

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI10: Paul McDonald

I agree with the top 3 (well Aaron and Rex were tied for 3rd for me) and basically with the bottom 3, I thought Rex was better than Suzi. I dont really agree with some of the comments wither (I like Joshy's high notes bleh.gif ) But awesome review, nontheless w00t.gif grin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 8:44 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE(Cheyenne @ Aug 13th 2005, 6:34 PM)
Yeah one results show recap is enough imo original.gif

Yeah Loe hasn't done any yet  ermm.gif

True, not much happens in results. tongue.gif

Yeah... ermm.gif

QUOTE(claymate37 @ Aug 13th 2005, 6:35 PM)
I agree with the top 3 (well Aaron and Rex were tied for 3rd for me) and basically with the bottom 3, I thought Rex was better than Suzi.  I dont really agree with some of the comments wither (I like Joshy's high notes bleh.gif ) But awesome review, nontheless w00t.gif  grin.gif

i like Josh's high notes too, but this is the third or fourth time he's ended with 'em. tongue.gif But thank you. huggy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
kaisermyrmidon
post Aug 13th 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #17

Woo, tangent.

Fav. CI2: Shane Wiebe
Fav. OzI2: Chanel Cole

I agree w/ teh Jor this week. Surprising? Sorta since I don't like Aaron. But it was another great recap, nonetheless.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
wild.hope
post Aug 13th 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE(kaisermyrmidon @ Aug 13th 2005, 8:51 PM)
I agree w/ teh Jor this week.  Surprising?  Sorta since I don't like Aaron.  But it was another great recap, nonetheless.

shocked.gif Yay! w00t.gif tongue.gif I know you dislike Aaron, but I'm glad you liked him this week. tongue.gif And thank you. huggy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
*Wallace
post Aug 14th 2005, 7:54 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. AI12: Candice Glover
Fav. AI13: Dexter Roberts

QUOTE(dianadegarmo4eva @ Aug 13th 2005, 5:32 PM)
Thanks *! huggy.gif

And I didn't like Josh a ton, but he was the 3rd best of the night, for me. tongue.gif and I'm just glad Casey was B3 and not Elimd', since she desrved B3, but she deserved another week as well.

Ooh OK. I enjoyed Josh's singing but I didn't really like his performance. Kinda weird to explain. I am glad about Casey too. happy.gif

Who do you expect to do really well on the Classic Rock theme? I know it's an obvious question. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Imageai13: emily. malaya. caleb. kristen. dexter. jessica. jena. | dwts18: meryl/maks. charlie/sharna. amy/derek. danica/val. james/peta. cody/witney. candace/mark. | tar24: brendon/rachel. caroline/jennifer. dave/connor. | sur28: tasha. spencer. woo. morgan. | bbc2: neda. adel. ika. jon. heather. | sytycdau4: patric. ashleigh. jay. michael. renelle. lauren. eden. zoey. | credit: Elliott for the av.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gary
post Aug 14th 2005, 1:00 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(dianadegarmo4eva @ Aug 13th 2005, 9:44 PM)
True, not much happens in results. tongue.gif

Yeah... ermm.gif
i like Josh's high notes too, but this is the third or fourth time he's ended with 'em. tongue.gif But thank you. huggy.gif

Uh-huh ... ermm.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Apr 23rd 2014, 9:09 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol