Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

194 Pages V « < 189 190 191 192 193 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Official Wrestling Thread, Starting fresh
hazuki
post Mar 3rd 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #3801

Stomp, Stomp. I have arrived

Group: Members

Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI11: Jessica Sanchez
Fav. XFUS3: Ellona Santiago

If CM Punk doesn't return tonight he isn''t coming back. Chicago is going to be one TOUGH crowd for the WWE

--------------------
IPB Image
twitter|tumblr|last.fm|Credit: Jack
AI13:Jess Meuse, Jena Asciutto, Malaya Watson, Austin Wolfe, Kristen O Connor, George Lovett
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 3rd 2014, 12:04 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

proudnewyorker82
post Mar 4th 2014, 7:37 AM
Post #3802

Fav. RS INXS: Marty, RS SN: Toby

The "wannabe" part might be debatable to some, but the rest is pretty awesome haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif

IPB Image

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
proudnewyorker82
post Mar 4th 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #3803

You don't have to wait for us to continue the fight in Brooklyn, Memphis has jumped on board...

Twitter.com/memphisRAWcrowd

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
proudnewyorker82
post Mar 5th 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #3804

Sorry for the sloppy post, copy/pasting from my phone...

Wrasslin' Story Time: The WWE doesn't hate you, because that would mean they care
By Steven Godfrey  @38Godfrey on Mar 4 2014, 11:00a 86

Michael N. Todaro
Steven Godfrey worked in professional wrestling for five years. Now he works at SB Nation. These are his stories.

 (219)  (827)  86 ⋆ 1
I used to sit in on meetings with our writing team. The writing team - nicknamed "Creative" in kayfabe terminology - was forced to present the upcoming plot lines of our TV show to the marketing and public relations employees at least once a week. Creative hated this process. If you didn't work on Creative, you didn't understand the complexities of pro wrestling and you never would.

The meetings helped us troubleshoot, as one time I lamented to a Creative member that our TV show was featuring female wrestlers in a tag team "bra and panties mud wrestling match" the same week that I had been ordered to pitch a profile of one of our executives to a Christian parenting magazine. I didn't ask for the segment to be removed outright because I never had that kind of power. I really just wanted a sympathetic ear for an increasingly impossible job.

"That's tough man, but if we lose the bra and panties it really takes away from the layering of that storyline. We're trying to build a narrative here," he said.

MUST READS
The next step for Mankind
A few of us used to call these comments "Truman Show crap" because our coping mechanisms for working in minor league pro wrestling had been reduced to the half-belief we were trapped in our own reality TV show.

Ten years after it had found its peak in the Monday Night Wars, veterans of wrestling's halcyon era littered our office. If every day wasn't 1997 those bastards were convinced tomorrow sure would be. Sometimes the network would push back on some of Creative's ideas, but they'd be damned if a bunch of 20-something ex-fans sitting in their own conference room were gonna point out storyline errors or provide "feedback."

To do just that would be the dream of so many fans, so many "smart marks" of the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community). On Monday night in Chicago a worldwide effort to disrupt WWE Raw's march to WrestleMania took over the Allstate Arena. It was a naive mission to protest on behalf of disgruntled WWE Superstar CM Punk, who abruptly left the promotion in January.

The movement rallied around the hashtag #hijackRAW, an attempted "shoot" tactic which WWE itself promptly seized as "worked" part of their storyline, thus nullifying the nerd coup. Former Punk manager Paul Heyman opened the show entering to Punk's theme music and delivered an absolutely brilliant promo that reduced the crowd's deafening "CM PUNK" chants to a serviceable conceit for "WrestleMania's" Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar storyline. The fans never stopped chanting, and the show ended with reviled Triple H standing over a beaten Daniel Bryan, bookending Heyman's nullification of #hijackRAW with another chapter in Bryan's storyline, which has become WWE's meta-parody of wrestlers who try and trade on their IWC popularity as equity in the WWE Universe. All that heat went exactly where the WWE wanted it to. End of uprising.

MORE FROM OUR TEAM SITES
Cageside Seats blog Cageside Seats
It's a terrible thing, being popular on the Internet: We once had a talented young guy buried in the lightweight division. A few of our younger staffers were convinced he was destined to be an accessible, new media savvy star. Instead of wearing fanny packs and talking about the 'roided-out 80s on FM radio to promote a weekend house show, this kid could speak intelligently on video games to web sites and bloggers and introduce the company to the next generation. And he was fire in the ring. The kid could bump, yet he and most of the guys his age were all but ignored by the company.

His ring name was Chris, so one day I got the gumption to ask Creative what, if anything, they had planned for Chris.

"Uh, yeah. He's a good kid. Something there. You know that show I keep hearing about? 'Everybody Hates Chris?' I think that's it. We should really do something about that, maybe find a way to do something with that."

"Everybody Hates Chris" was a CW sitcom in which comedian Chris Rock narrated stories from his upbringing as a picked-on minority in a white suburb of New York in the 1970s. Our Chris was a 22-year-old white kid from the midwest. It was improv bullshit. Those infallible Hillbilly Hemingways had farted out a quick excuse in front of half of our company because they could.

Two days later I was reprimanded. A week later I stupidly approached a member of Creative and stated my case for Chris getting a push, capping it with what I would learn to be the most backhanded of compliments in that industry:

"Look, this guy is HUGE on the Internet. Our hardcore fans love him."

"Great," Creative responded. "Then we don't have to do crap with him ever."

WWE Elimination Chamber: What we learned

The road to WrestleMania is a whole lot clearer. Here's a recap of the Elimination Chamber PPV.
The cruelest thing I can tell a passionate, dedicated smark is that the more he knows the less he matters to WWE. The smark is the one person the company knows will be watching the show every week, no matter what. They're buying the licensed merchandise to complain about it on podcasts and paying the extra $20 at TV tapings to stand in an autograph line and tell their favorite disrespected mid-carder just how he should be used in the main event. Even at the emptiest of house shows (non-televised events usually packaged as tours) we could spot the dedicated IWC member on hand to record completely meaningless* match results for one of the "insider" news sites.

(*Seriously, most of them meant absolutely nothing. Unless we were promoting an ongoing TV storyline, house show winners and losers were determined at random and on the fly if a title belt wasn't on the line. No one cared, least of all the talent, yet the next morning we'd read a thousand word analysis on why certain matches were booked to favor a particular wrestler.)

THE WWE DOESN'T CARE, BECAUSE YOU'RE BUYING THEIR PRODUCT ANYWAY.
Angry that Daniel Bryan or CM Punk isn't in the title picture at WrestleMania because of Batista? The WWE doesn't care, because you're buying their product anyway. I've been in these meetings, albeit for another company, but it's the same perception: You're an assumed gain, a given. Even when you swear you're never watching the show again (which focus groups told us is an empty threat), you're on various media platforms telling people how much you dislike our product.

The WWE doesn't care what a smark with a bookshelf full of Ring Of Honor bootlegs thinks. They care about marrying their company to Marvel Studios when Dave Bautista stars in "Guardians of the Galaxy" this August. They care about 7-year-olds and the uninitiated. If you're a self-professed smark who couldn't see a Batista title run dovetailing with a summer movie PR tour as soon as his casting was announced, you're not that damn smarky. If you ever believed #hijackRAW would do anything other than help WWE make more money, you don't understand this niche of pop culture (which you likely love more than anything else).

Video: The Undertaker remake of 'The Breakfast Club' is really weird

Yeah, even weirder than you're imagining.

If the dynamic of smarks vs. WWE can teach us anything writ large, it's that we're living in a transition era of pop culture, a turning point in which the community of self-aware consumers are not yet the established providers of content. Right now those who make the biggest decisions about our most coveted entertainment properties didn't attain their success through acknowledging crowdsourced feedback or checking Twitter. If you bought a ticket to boo in person at RAW or live-Tweeted your disdain, the WWE only sees another successful night of revenue and branding.

Creative finally did figure something out for Chris. They paired him with a veteran wrestler for a multi-week storyline in which he was the young and stupid kid challenging the wise old sage. One week, much to his personal embarrassment, they made him wear just a diaper to the ring and cry like a baby. The Internet howled in protest.

The next week Creative said it was one of the strongest segments of that week's show.

"Everything in this arena right now, including them, belongs to us."
More from SBNation.com

This post has been edited by proudnewyorker82: Mar 5th 2014, 10:28 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Mar 6th 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #3805

Lol this character is great. Can't wait for Bryan to knock this guy out at WM

--------------------
IPB Image
AI13:Jess Meuse, Jena Asciutto, Malaya Watson, Austin Wolfe, Kristen O Connor, George Lovett
+Quote Post
proudnewyorker82
post Mar 11th 2014, 8:01 AM
Post #3806

Do we like this new development for D-Bry? Happy with WM program for him?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bswanson
post Mar 11th 2014, 10:16 AM
Post #3807

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI12: Angie Miller
Fav. Singer: Taylor Swift

hhh only has 2 security guards lol. but yeah DB is going to win and be in ME.

This post has been edited by bswanson: Mar 11th 2014, 10:17 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Weedy Speedy
post Mar 11th 2014, 9:13 PM
Post #3808

Fav. AI11: Elise Testone
Fav. AI12: Candice Glover
Fav. AI13: Caleb Johnson

I'd rather they just put him in with Orton and Batista without having to go through HHH first, I don't care much about seeing him. At least WWE is making the best of the situation they put themselves in with Batista's Rumble win, just hope they go with the correct result. WM30 could be Bryan's Austin moment when you think about it, this could make his career.

Also stoked to see Usos as tag team champs, definitely deserving of it.

This post has been edited by Weedy Speedy: Mar 11th 2014, 9:20 PM

--------------------
QUOTE(huh @ Mar 20th 2014, 11:13 PM) *
Clearly they should can that and just have One Direction Night instead.
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Mar 12th 2014, 1:15 PM
Post #3809

QUOTE(proudnewyorker82 @ Mar 11th 2014, 9:01 AM) *

Do we like this new development for D-Bry? Happy with WM program for him?

Hell yeah. I'm glad there going with the triple threat match, other wise the main event would've been absolutely crapped on. Although it would've been glorious, glad this happen more.

The occupyRAW segment was freaking brilliant done! That's going to be one his most memorable segments/promo down the line. His Austin beer truck moment. Really enjoying this Triple H/Bryan feud.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bswanson
post Mar 13th 2014, 9:03 AM
Post #3810

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI12: Angie Miller
Fav. Singer: Taylor Swift

Bryan better get the belt at WM or fans will riot. With the occupy thing on raw Bryan got what he wanted, but you know HHH will get his revenge on Monday. I just hope its something different than Bryan vs Shield. its been done so many times already.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Mar 16th 2014, 8:19 PM
Post #3811

Followed his career in ROH, to see how far he has come and main eventing Wrestlemania 30 is just amazing.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
proudnewyorker82
post Mar 18th 2014, 7:14 AM
Post #3812

I really burned a hole in my wallet for RAW next week. I'll be damned if the audience wastes time with CM Punk chants. I like Punk too, but he's made it very clear that he's not interested in coming back, chanting for him is not bringing him back. WWE can't kidnap him and force him back into the ring at gunpoint. Leave the man alone, respect his decision.

I am so over watching Daniel Bryan get beat down every single week since Summer Slam. Enough already. Same old crap.

Seriously 10 minutes watching HHH beat down Bryan. Talk about an ego trip, someone is going through a midlife crisis rolleyes.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Mar 18th 2014, 9:32 AM
Post #3813

The payoff will be at Wrestlemania.

I thought the beatdown segment was really well done. This match seems like even more bigger than the title match IMO, and the added stip with Triple H makes it even more unpredictable. Can't wait for that match

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
proudnewyorker82
post Mar 18th 2014, 3:16 PM
Post #3814

Just need to vent a little. I'm the last person that would ever obsess over re-tweets. For a while Adam Rose was re-tweeting things that I had tweeted about first. I was feeling a little insulted, I was tempted to say something, but then my common sense chimed in and told me not to over analyze and let it go. Today I tweeted something that finally got his attention and he re-tweeted it, I tweeted that I hope he would be at next week's raw. I was finally happy to get his attention, and then some buzzkill internet fan had to try to tear me down over it, "he's in NXT, not happening" my mistake was not simply ignoring him. Lately I've run into wrestling fans online, that will keep tweeting back until they get the last word. Eventually I got sick of this guy and just blocked him. I was like "Why are you trying to bring me down? I didn't ask for your opinion. Just mind your own business." I deleted all my replies to his tweets.

If I was ever this annoying in the past, I sincerely apologize. A lot of of IWC fans will just keep on talking even if they have no idea what they're talking about. They just need to have the last word. They lack to see the point of view of the people they post about and only see what they want.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Weedy Speedy
post Mar 19th 2014, 10:57 AM
Post #3815

QUOTE(proudnewyorker82 @ Mar 18th 2014, 3:16 PM) *
If I was ever this annoying in the past, I sincerely apologize. A lot of of IWC fans will just keep on talking even if they have no idea what they're talking about. They just need to have the last word. They lack to see the point of view of the people they post about and only see what they want.

Yeah I don't phuck with posting about wrestling online except in this very thread pretty much, lol. Reading wrestlingforums can be pretty entertaining but I'm definitely left just shaking my head a lot of the time.

Of course the GD forum on here is the same way.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Mar 19th 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #3816

QUOTE(Weedy Speedy @ Mar 19th 2014, 11:57 AM) *

Yeah I don't phuck with posting about wrestling online except in this very thread pretty much, lol. Reading wrestlingforums can be pretty entertaining but I'm definitely left just shaking my head a lot of the time.

Of course the GD forum on here is the same way.

lol yeah wrestlingforum has alot of trolls on that site but it's geneally a good place to be at. I've been there since 2006. However they can turn on a wresler so fast, same thing happened to CM Punk, and other IWC darlings. Afraid that will happen to Bryan as well.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
proudnewyorker82
post Mar 23rd 2014, 10:07 PM
Post #3817

haha.gif haha.gif haha.gif

IPB Image

Source: https://twitter.com/mngarcia1993/status/443782235817541632

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Weedy Speedy
post Mar 23rd 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #3818

So the Shield are faces now, correct? Should be interesting.

This post has been edited by Weedy Speedy: Mar 23rd 2014, 10:30 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blindy
post Mar 23rd 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #3819

Fav. X Factor 9 UK: Rylan Clark

QUOTE(Weedy Speedy @ Mar 23rd 2014, 11:30 PM) *

So the Shield are faces now, correct? Should be interesting.

I think Anti-Heroes if anything. They do what's best for them and operate on that basis.

I do think Ambrose turns on both guys though....he's way too money of a heel to not become one. Rollins and Reigns can work as faces though.

--------------------
CJ Harris-Troll Tide
+Quote Post
hazuki
post Mar 24th 2014, 8:51 AM
Post #3820

Seth Rollins will be the Jeff Hardy of this generation, expect can actually wrestle and not get fired.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

194 Pages V « < 189 190 191 192 193 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Apr 24th 2014, 6:16 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol