Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

24 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "I Need A Job" Thread, Talk about finding jobs, or even your current one!
Brittx
post Jun 13th 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #21

Group: Members

Fav. AI5: Elliott Yamin
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta

I work for an Assisted Living as a Caregiver/ Med Aide. I know there are always caregiving jobs out there. When I got my job I had over 10 interviews at other places in the first week I started applying. There are also at home places where you travel to their homes and you can choose your own hours.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jun 13th 2011, 12:02 PM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

xoypoodlesx
post Jun 14th 2011, 5:18 PM
Post #22

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. SYTYCD3: Neil Haskell
Fav. SYTYCD3: Danny Tidwell

Just thought I'd get some opinions here...When applying for jobs is it better to go in person to fill out an app or online? A lot of big chains have their apps online, and sometimes when you call or go in, they just tell you to go online. But then I hear that it's better to do it on paper so I don't know. Anyone have any experiences related to this? Most of the jobs I'm applying for are retail and food service (fast food or hostessing), but maybe a few at local country clubs and hotels.

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
credit: x x
+Quote Post
ringette04
post Jun 14th 2011, 5:30 PM
Post #23

So along with my Tim Hortons job (which I've had for six years an am incredibly sick of) I got another job, but only 2 shifts a week at it. And it's at a boarding kennel for dogs.. it is the most difficult and physically exhusting job ever, because right when you finish cleaning up after and walking/taking out all the dogs, you're ready to start over again. But..I'll take what I can get. I just look forward to September when I don't have to live at home and will hopefully have enough money for the school year.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ringette04
post Jun 14th 2011, 5:39 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Brittx @ Jun 13th 2011, 1:02 PM) *

I work for an Assisted Living as a Caregiver/ Med Aide. I know there are always caregiving jobs out there. When I got my job I had over 10 interviews at other places in the first week I started applying. There are also at home places where you travel to their homes and you can choose your own hours.

what schooling do you have that qualified you for a position like that? original.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Brittx
post Jun 14th 2011, 6:12 PM
Post #25

Fav. AI5: Elliott Yamin
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta

QUOTE(ringette04 @ Jun 14th 2011, 3:39 PM) *

what schooling do you have that qualified you for a position like that? original.gif

To be a caregiver you don't need any schooling. If you want to work in a nursing home apposed to an Assisted Living you would have to have your CNA (certified nursing assistant). To become a Med Aide they usually train you. I had a month of full time training for med aiding.

This post has been edited by Brittx: Jun 14th 2011, 6:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Canadian Freak*
post Jul 9th 2011, 9:00 PM
Post #26

So I just got an internship in the city and I really want to move downtown instead of commute but I don't know how I'm going to afford it. I'm actually desperate enough to apply to Hooters, don't judge, the money is actually good and I would really like to get into serving. haha.gif My parents would probably disown me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
*Karen*
post Jul 10th 2011, 2:38 AM
Post #27

time can't erase a feeling this strong

QUOTE(Canadian Freak* @ Jul 9th 2011, 7:00 PM) *

So I just got an internship in the city and I really want to move downtown instead of commute but I don't know how I'm going to afford it. I'm actually desperate enough to apply to Hooters, don't judge, the money is actually good and I would really like to get into serving. haha.gif My parents would probably disown me.

Congrats on the internship! w00t.gif huggy.gif

I know what you mean. I want to move more central to the city all the time, but I need to find that full-time job to make it more possible (Even though I know that's no guarantee).

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
'cause for a moment a band of thieves in ripped-up jeans got to rule the world. | '12 World Series Champs
+Quote Post
~AngelBabi~
post Jul 13th 2011, 3:13 PM
Post #28

Fav. CI3: Melissa O'Neil
Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. Show: One Tree Hill ♥

I need to start looking for another job. My hours just got cut from 48 to 40 hours every two weeks until Sept. I'm only making minimum wage and it's such a waste since I went to college and actually have a degree.

--------------------
IPB Image
05/12/08 RIP Courtney ♥ Thanks istersay for the set
+Quote Post
Kayli
post Jul 13th 2011, 3:57 PM
Post #29

Can you get a job as a cocktail waitress without any serving experience? I have over two years of customer service experience, but it's in retail. I will be 21 in a week and it is something I've always wanted to get into.

--------------------

And you be the reason
I'll be the rhyme
We've both got way too much ahead
To worry 'bout what we've left behind
+Quote Post
NewYawkAJrFan
post Jul 13th 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #30

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. AI6: Blake & Jordin

QUOTE(xoypoodlesx @ Jun 14th 2011, 6:18 PM) *

Just thought I'd get some opinions here...When applying for jobs is it better to go in person to fill out an app or online? A lot of big chains have their apps online, and sometimes when you call or go in, they just tell you to go online. But then I hear that it's better to do it on paper so I don't know. Anyone have any experiences related to this? Most of the jobs I'm applying for are retail and food service (fast food or hostessing), but maybe a few at local country clubs and hotels.

if they are retail jobs, I think it's better to go in person and ask for an application. For those types of jobs I think it's better if they see you in person b/c even if they tell you to fill out an online application, they still were able to see you and get a feel for who you are and it might make it an easier decision when it comes down to hiring people b/c they might say "oh yeah, i remember this person, they came in...seemed really nice"...etc

--------------------
Hi, I'm Deb. :)

"There must be Borrowed Angels, here in this life.
They come along, into this world, and make this world bright.
But they can't stay forever, Cause they're heaven sent.
And sometimes, heaven needs them back again"

~Rest in Peace *T* 10/3/88-8/28/10~
+Quote Post
ringette04
post Jul 15th 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Kayli @ Jul 13th 2011, 4:57 PM) *

Can you get a job as a cocktail waitress without any serving experience? I have over two years of customer service experience, but it's in retail. I will be 21 in a week and it is something I've always wanted to get into.

there may be people more qualified who apply but you still certainly can. although you need your smart serve certificate (at least that's what it's called in ontario, not sure if it's the same in the states) that allows you to serve alcohol, even if you are of age.

This post has been edited by ringette04: Jul 15th 2011, 10:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kayli
post Jul 15th 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(ringette04 @ Jul 15th 2011, 10:53 PM) *

there may be people more qualified who apply but you still certainly can. although you need your smart serve certificate (at least that's what it's called in ontario, not sure if it's the same in the states) that allows you to serve alcohol, even if you are of age.

I think I'm just gonna go downtown and apply everywhere so I have a better chance. I recently quit my job because I absolutely couldn't stand it... it was a medical assembly job in a clean room. So not my type of job. So I'm in need of a new one soon. And I've never heard about any certificate. Idk maybe it is different here?

--------------------

And you be the reason
I'll be the rhyme
+Quote Post
ringette04
post Jul 15th 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #33

QUOTE(Kayli @ Jul 16th 2011, 12:04 AM) *

I think I'm just gonna go downtown and apply everywhere so I have a better chance. I recently quit my job because I absolutely couldn't stand it... it was a medical assembly job in a clean room. So not my type of job. So I'm in need of a new one soon. And I've never heard about any certificate. Idk maybe it is different here?

i'd love a job like that too. i hate mine as well haha, i just got my certificate so that when i'm back at school i can get a job at a restaurant/bar hopefully. For us in canada (or it may just be ontario?) we need to finish a course that gives us certification but it can be done online in only a few hours, so even if you need something where you live it's probably no big deal at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Jul 20th 2011, 8:30 PM
Post #34

Dang, I quit my job as a newspaper carrier so I could move to somewhere where it is green.

I have about 4yrs of money saved up but with no experience at all besides paper carrier and horrible communication skills, I feel like being young, able and willing won't be enough.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Drew
post Jul 20th 2011, 9:17 PM
Post #35

I got my certification as a Nursing Assistant two months ago and have had trouble finding a job ever since. Is it a better bet to try and find opportunities in the city and get a roommate? I'm not having luck in the surrounding towns.

--------------------
thevoiceus: bria. christina. tess. delvin. kristen. josh. sisaundra. kat.
thevoiceuk: christina marie. jamie. georgia. sophie. sally. bizzi. rachael. lee.
xfactoruk: sam. luke. tamera. lorna. kingsland road. nicholas.
+Quote Post
aifanatic100
post Jul 21st 2011, 1:04 AM
Post #36

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI5: Kellie Pickler
Fav. Fav. AI7: Carly Smithson

Job hunting is a pain. blarg.gif I've been trying, but like someone else said, they don't wanna hire anyone without experience...but if that's the case, how the eff am I ever gonna get experience?! bleh.gif haha.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Jul 21st 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #37

Exactly, how do you get experience w/o a job?

Heck, I'd work for free for a few weeks or a month or 2 if that will get me hired b/c I have experience now and they like my work ethic.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kayli
post Jul 22nd 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #38

I might have a few in's at some local restaurants for server positions. I'm hoping so bad I get one of them.

I've only been unemployed for a week and a half and I absolutely hateeee it. I feel like such a failure right now and am just really down. Hopefully I can start working again in the next month, cause if not, I might just lose it. sad.gif

--------------------

And you be the reason
I'll be the rhyme
+Quote Post
Alyssa
post Jul 22nd 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #39

^ I felt that way too right after I graduated and before I began my first long-term sub job. That time between was the worst. Now I have a full-time teaching job beginning next month and it's such a relief to not have that uncertainty.

--------------------
+Quote Post
JYCT
post Jul 25th 2011, 9:20 PM
Post #40

Times be rough... but my friend just got a job in an electronics store by writing on his resume he used to be an associate at The Source haha.gif And got a friend who's an actual manager there be a reference.

Totally unethical and I probably wouldn't but... like I said... times be rough. /working in sales or restaurants you really don't need experience.

--------------------
toronto maple leafs
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
| March 16th 2oo6 | August 7th 2oo6 | myspace :: last.fm
+Quote Post

24 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 83 Time is now: Apr 19th 2014, 5:10 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol