Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

10490 Pages V « < 10321 10322 10323 10324 10325 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Baseball Thread, Dude, we went FISHING. In CABO.
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 4th 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #206441

Group: Members

Fav. AI7: Michael Johns
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Hollie Cavanagh

The Brewers play the Giants today. grin.gif grin.gif

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
RIP Cory Monteith. | My Disney Tumblr.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Mar 4th 2012, 11:14 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 4th 2012, 8:27 PM
Post #206442

Corey Hart is going to miss 3-4 weeks because he needs knee surgery.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpamGoddess
post Mar 4th 2012, 9:59 PM
Post #206443

Bet ya wish you hadn't asked for one now eh? yep
Group Icon

Group: Neurox Media Moderators

Fav. Sports Team: Atlanta Braves

Hopefully the Braves are just getting everything awful out of the way so we'll go undefeated when it counts. wub.gif

--------------------
[v.One True Love] :That's how I roll: [12.18.06/04.22.07/01.30.09/8.15.13] :Tumblr | Twitter:
IPB Image
[RIP, Gary. The RE misses you. ♥] :May the odds be ever in your favor:
+Quote Post
Steven
post Mar 4th 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #206444

Plant your hope with good seeds
Group Icon

Fav. AI6: Jordin Sparks
Fav. Team: The Yankees

Yankees have won their first 2 spring training games. happy.gif

--------------------
Teams: Yankees, Devils, Giants || Music: A7X, Mumford & Sons, Springsteen, Bruno Mars, Drake || Budlime IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image Icons: Yankees, Hunger Games, French Fries, Jennifer Lawrence, Pokemon || AI12: Angie, Kree, Amber, JanelleIPB Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 4th 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #206445

This.
Phoenix - By now, you've probably heard just about every argument for and against the expanded-playoff format baseball finally rolled out late last week.

Generally, I have no complaint on grounds of traditionalism. The game has warped that frame from so many angles, and usually with positive results, that I'm almost to the point that if Bud Selig wanted to rearrange both leagues by geography and play a reduced, balanced schedule, that would be OK by me.

But since we live in a world so real that even our games are subject to practicality, the question here is how the new system might impact the local nine.

Put the Brewers down as skeptical.

"I'm open-minded on change," general manager Doug Melvin said. "I think it's good to see what an extra team (in each league) can do. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm not sold on it."

As the roster builder of a successful franchise that plays by the revenue-sharing rules and proudly waves the small-market flag, Melvin questions whether true democracy was part of baseball's motive for inviting 10 teams to its postseason.

"To think that you're giving small markets a better chance for the playoffs, I think that's false hope," Melvin said.

"You can do all the scenarios you want. I just want to know the reason. Is the reason to give more teams a reason to think they have a chance? Is it TV? Are they trying to get the Yankees and the Red Sox in the playoffs every year?"

Let's just say if you fight the uphill battle on baseball's uneven playing field and occasionally win, you've earned the right to be suspicious of one-and-done for the first round.

"What if a team hasn't been to the playoffs in 25 years and they get a one-game playoff and lose? They don't even get a home game," Melvin said. "You'd like to at least have a home game to thank your fans for coming out for 25 years. That's why I'm saying a two-out-of-three would be nice to have."

Ah, but what about dragging out a season that is already too long?

This is where I'm really on board with Melvin.

"I have no idea why we can't go to 158 or 160 games and play a two-out-of-three series," Melvin said. "I think we're being shortsighted by saying dropping two regular-season games would make that much difference in revenue when one extra playoff series might create some TV money."

A number of casual fans probably like the idea of the drama created by one-and-done in the first round. That's entertainment, and it sells in an age of short attention spans. The concept has made the NFL and the NCAA richer than oil sheiks. But I'm not so sure the format fits baseball.

Melvin had the same debate the other day with a big-market baseball writer.

"I told him we had a great five-game series with Arizona last year," he said. "He said, 'Nobody watched it until the fifth game.' Then I said, 'Why don't we have every series one game and out? Let's have the World Series and play just one game.' "

Facetiously, Melvin had a point. While many would agree that the expanded format finally gives an advantage to the division winner, a shorter regular season and two-of-three in the first round would benefit a division winner more by giving it extra time to set its pitching rotation.

Meanwhile, it's now possible to have the second-best record in baseball and play only one home playoff game. It's now possible for a third-place team to win the World Series.

Yes, all of that is quite egalitarian in principle. And if the goal is to add more excitement to a game that is trying to reach a younger audience, baseball has knocked it out of the park with the new format.

But remember The Most Exciting Day In The History Of Baseball last year? When the Red Sox and Braves took it to the eleventh hour on the final day of the regular season? That couldn't happen now, because Boston would already be in the playoffs.

"We still have exciting finishes," Melvin said. "They can happen with your regular schedule. But you're going to do it with a playoff? That's not a playoff. It's a game-off."

--------------------

+Quote Post
carriefanforever
post Mar 4th 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #206446

Fav. AI8: Megan Joy and Kris Allen

I'M SO NERVOUS TO INTERVIEW PRINCE. I can't even think about it without freaking out. Oh and since I'm a media member and my uncle is considered a photographer, only I have access to inside the clubhouse. So I'm going to have to go in there and find Prince and bring him out to interview. laughing.gif Ahh!

Someone tell me to breathe.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 5th 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #206447

QUOTE(carriefanforever @ Mar 4th 2012, 10:20 PM) *

I'M SO NERVOUS TO INTERVIEW PRINCE. I can't even think about it without freaking out. Oh and since I'm a media member and my uncle is considered a photographer, only I have access to inside the clubhouse. So I'm going to have to go in there and find Prince and bring him out to interview. laughing.gif Ahh!

Breathe. When are you interviewing him?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 5th 2012, 7:24 PM
Post #206448

I just can't not laugh at this. lmao.gif Last year he strained his oblique by slipping on wet grass. This year? Wearing cleats to Braun's press conference.
Hart said he might have tweaked knee wearing cleats on sidewalk while hurrying to Braun press conference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LuvGrowsWhereMorganGoes
post Mar 5th 2012, 9:24 PM
Post #206449

That's Tawny Burke to you!

Fav. AI1: R.J. Helton
Fav. AI6: Chris Sligh
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta

Too lazy to post details but here are fanfest pictures! w00twave.gif

Marlins/UM game tomorrow night spaz.gif
27 days til the Yankees/Marlins game spaz.gif

FINALLY HANLEYYYYY
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------
Braves-Marlins-Rays- Heat- Dolphins
+Quote Post
LuvGrowsWhereMorganGoes
post Mar 5th 2012, 9:31 PM
Post #206450

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
LuvGrowsWhereMorganGoes
post Mar 5th 2012, 9:57 PM
Post #206451

QUOTE(SpamGoddess @ Mar 1st 2012, 3:12 PM) *

Yeah, I'm betting on us NOT beating them in a one-game showdown. We were running so ragged that I had a feeling even if we somehow won that one game, we would be pretty much swept out of the NLDS. haha.gif

Yeah, I don't follow a lot of players. I follow most (or all?) of the Braves, and I follow LoMo + a few others, but I know some people who follow every single player and I just don't know how.

Pre-sale for single game tickets started this morning but it's SUCKING. Upper box tickets are frickin' $30 for opening day?! And I kept searching so eventually I have apparently been locked out of ticketmaster? It keeps saying it's forbidden. roll.gif So even though it's a little more expensive (like $4) on StubHub, I'm probably going to do that just for the convenience because damn.

MAYBEEEE if our pitching would have shut them down but we wouldn't have been able to scratch out any runs closedeyes.gif

I don't follow that many either other than from my favorite teams and a few randoms.

Stubhub is awesome happy.gif

QUOTE(DiAnAmItE4LiFe @ Mar 2nd 2012, 1:47 AM) *

Leaving for Florida in the morning! w00t.gif

YAY!!!!! w00twave.gif

QUOTE(RWG @ Mar 2nd 2012, 1:51 AM) *

That's what I admire about his personality. Having watched the Jays and Raptors over the years, I've seen a lot of athletes come through Toronto with rotten attitudes about playing in Canada. It offers furthest thing from the lives they dreamed of having as professional athletes. Florida is probably more different from Toronto most of the rest of the U.S., but JP fully embraces it anyways.

I can see that, actually. haha.gif He used to strike me as tough love and over-the-top professional, but in the first interview with him I saw, he was mumbling and rambling and not making any sense. I can imagine him being the guy who drives off the work with the garage door up.

I didn't even know what an Uggla was until last year.

heart.gif

laughing.gif So true!

giggle.gif How did you not know who he was while he was on the Marlins?

QUOTE(ShortstopVM @ Mar 2nd 2012, 1:52 PM) *

For everyone that's going to Spring Training, have a safe trip and enjoy! yes.gif

I'm not going far but at least I get to see 2 games w00t.gif

QUOTE(SpamGoddess @ Mar 2nd 2012, 11:29 PM) *

I just ordered tickets for the home opener.

I'm really going, guys. bye2.gif

I went ahead and ordered them because they released lower level outfield seats tonight... for only $10 more than upper box. Plus I had to order SEVEN and I'm paranoid and was afraid they wouldn't have that many together again ever. haha.gif Though the price tag still looked awful when I was checking out. $40 x 7 = $280. fear2.gif

Yay!!! & yeah, seeing prices like that isn't fun no.gif

QUOTE(Jordan-N-Torifan @ Mar 4th 2012, 8:27 PM) *

Corey Hart is going to miss 3-4 weeks because he needs knee surgery.

pinch.gif

QUOTE(SpamGoddess @ Mar 4th 2012, 9:59 PM) *

Hopefully the Braves are just getting everything awful out of the way so we'll go undefeated when it counts. wub.gif

We won 10-5 wub.gif UGGS HR wub.gif & Brian had 2 hits heart.gif

QUOTE(carriefanforever @ Mar 4th 2012, 11:20 PM) *

BBBBBBREATHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEE! So exciting!

QUOTE(Jordan-N-Torifan @ Mar 5th 2012, 7:24 PM) *

I just can't not laugh at this. lmao.gif Last year he strained his oblique by slipping on wet grass. This year? Wearing cleats to Braun's press conference.

haha.gif Ayeee!

--------------------
+Quote Post
LuvGrowsWhereMorganGoes
post Mar 5th 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #206452

Braves & Marlins won today grin.gif Rays lost closedeyes.gif

Dan Uggla went 2-for-3 with a home run and Brian McCann went 2-for-3 and scored twice to lead the Braves to an 10-5 victory over the Astros in the first Grapefruit League meeting between the clubs on Monday afternoon at Osceola County Stadium.

Greg Dobbs' three-RBI performance and Josh Johnson's return to game action highlighted the Marlins' 4-3 victory over the Cardinals at Roger Dean Stadium on Monday. The game was the first in Grapefruit League play for both clubs, which share the Jupiter Spring Training site.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SpamGoddess
post Mar 5th 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #206453

Bet ya wish you hadn't asked for one now eh? yep
Group Icon

Fav. Sports Team: Atlanta Braves

Nice pictures Tawny!! You look really pretty in them, fyi. haha.gif And the new stadium looks AMAZING except for that silly home run display. I legit busted out laughing when I saw it. roll.gif BUT I WANT DETAILS. angry.gif

--------------------
[v.One True Love] :That's how I roll: [12.18.06/04.22.07/01.30.09/8.15.13] :Tumblr | Twitter:
IPB Image
[RIP, Gary. The RE misses you. ♥] :May the odds be ever in your favor:
+Quote Post
LuvGrowsWhereMorganGoes
post Mar 5th 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #206454

QUOTE(SpamGoddess @ Mar 5th 2012, 10:59 PM) *

Nice pictures Tawny!! You look really pretty in them, fyi. haha.gif And the new stadium looks AMAZING except for that silly home run display. I legit busted out laughing when I saw it. roll.gif BUT I WANT DETAILS. angry.gif

Aw thanks! huggy.gif It is kinda... interesting laughing.gif and i wish the wall wasn't green but other than that it looks really nice. Eh, there's nothing all that exciting to say tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ShortstopVM
post Mar 6th 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #206455

Fav. SYTYCD5: Karla Garcia
Fav. SYTYCD7: Lauren Froderman
Fav. MLB: New York Mets

QUOTE(carriefanforever @ Mar 4th 2012, 11:20 PM) *

Good Luck, Lindsay! flowers.gif

QUOTE(LuvGrowsWhereMorganGoes @ Mar 5th 2012, 9:24 PM) *
Too lazy to post details but here are fanfest pictures! w00twave.gif

Nice pics, Tawny! yes.gif I have to give the new Marlins Stadium credit for not looking like a cookie-cutter neo-classic ballpark... yes.gif laughing.gif

Have you met Jose Reyes yet? shifty.gif

BTW, in college baseball, Maryland has officially cracked the Baseball America Top 25 for the first time! clap.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif We are ranked #25 in their poll. We check into the NCBWA (Writers') Poll at #30; move up to #21 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll, and are knocking on the door of the Coaches' Poll. yes.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
(Thank you to o0itzAnGiE and to Stacey for the blinkies!)
#ZachingForever | IPB Image I support KARLA always! | IPB Image | LET'S GO METS
+Quote Post
KrAzY4kAt
post Mar 6th 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #206456

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. Teams: Cubs Bears Bulls Bhawks

Going on a tour of Yankee Stadium today grin.gif I was outside the old one for their last series a few years ago, and saw the new one from afar, but I'm so excited! We're also going to a pub to watch soccer (Arsenal) after that, so we shall see how that goes laughing.gif

--------------------

You can't replace Santo, you copy his spirit. You find a way to find the good in everything, every day. You laugh at yourself as heartily as you laugh with others. You suffer without complaint and stand tall in the face of disappointment. You battle.

RIP Ronnie, you will be missed
+Quote Post
carriefanforever
post Mar 6th 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #206457

Fav. AI8: Megan Joy and Kris Allen

QUOTE(Jordan-N-Torifan @ Mar 5th 2012, 12:02 AM) *

Breathe. When are you interviewing him?
We were going to get there yesterday but we didn't get there early enough. He didn't play in the game so he was taking ground balls on a practice field and then had an interview with MLB Network.

We're hoping that Wednesday it will happen. We're getting to the stadium at 8 in the morning.

But yesterday I got to walk through the Tigers clubhouse! It was really quiet, actually. I was expecting it to be loud and crazy. laughing.gif The only voice I heard was Delmon Young and he was talking to Austin Jackson. They all looked tired. laughing.gif Cabrera was eating something from a bowl, but I don't know what it was.

And then when I was at the ESPN Club, I saw Delmon Young! We made eye contact...he probably thinks I'm stalking him tbh.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
Steven
post Mar 6th 2012, 1:53 PM
Post #206458

Plant your hope with good seeds
Group Icon

Fav. AI6: Jordin Sparks
Fav. Team: The Yankees

Awesome pictures! spaz.gif

--------------------
Teams: Yankees, Devils, Giants || Music: A7X, Mumford & Sons, Springsteen, Bruno Mars, Drake || Budlime IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image Icons: Yankees, Hunger Games, French Fries, Jennifer Lawrence, Pokemon || AI12: Angie, Kree, Amber, JanelleIPB Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Mar 7th 2012, 8:52 AM
Post #206459

QUOTE(RWG @ Feb 29th 2012, 11:07 PM) *

It sounds like the league will announce tomorrow that it's shifting from an eight- to a ten-team playoff format.
From a competitive standpoint, ten-team playoffs aren't particularly logical. That said, neither is letting geography and arbitrariness decide what teams do and don't make it. There's no denying it will make things more interesting.

It also helps the Jays big time. Theoretically, we'll only have to finish ahead of one of Boston, New York, and Tampa now.

Braves fans should also be warming to the idea. The Marlins could contend this year, and the Phillies are the Phillies.
I hope it works out for him here. He loves Toronto a lot. He just posted a photo of his new tattoo: a maple leafs with two hockey sticks. haha.gif

I know what you're saying about Manuel. At the same, pretty much any legendary coach or manager in any sport has been blessed with a great roster.

Thanks! I like reading yours too.
I love when teams do that. I'm really happy he gets to be a starter. Anthopolous didn't have much of a choice to get rid of him, but he has a lot of upside. He may not have the future ahead of him that J.P. has--and apparently the guy we have in AAA is even better than J.P.--but he was so much more solid defensively and timely when called upon offensively. I don't ever remember fans complaining about the roll he played on the team.

Compared to the other Molina, Jose also strikes me as the softer/friendlier brother. I think Rays fans will really like him.
As a sports fan in general, I don't know what I'd do without Twitter. There's no easier way of knowing what's going on around the league and with your team. I used to one of those people who said he would never use it, but I got over the stigma and think it's awesome now.

Lol, I find Tumblr useless. Unless you it's .gifs you're after, there's very little readable content.
There used to be these kind of unwritten rules in all realms of journalism. In the 1980s, it became an accepted custom for reporters following politicians on campaign trails to drink with them on the plane at the end of the day. (This ended in Canada when Brian Mulroney had a few and told a journalist he thought an MP from another party was a fat pig, and the journalist reported it.) It sounds like a nice standard, but personally, I think journalists have a duty to report everything relevant (which, for professional athletes, I think includes things like sex and drinking).

The problem with going to 158-160 is thats 60-180 games lost vs onl 2 gained. Most is not all cities will not add a few throughout the final week/season to cover that loss. The only option is to increase the price by that %. Which, I guess, could make sense if it's $5 or less a ticket.

Playoff teams already in the picture always get their pitchers ready for the playoffs anyways, so the 3/4 days rest won't mean anything more. Except for ALL the teams even the WC teams to get their pitchers in order. Cause theroratically, Game 1 in the WC can also play game one in the 1st round as well.

This is so the AL East rule change. It's a way to get Tampa/Toronto a better chance cause unless they stink all 4 of them will play hard all year instead of the BlueJays as of late give up once they hit 10 games out but only 5 games behind the Rays. Also, this will get both Red Sox and Yankees in it every season. Seriously, how can they be out now? And we all know that they are the 2 teams that get the most national attention and attention period for the ratings etc. So, even if you aren't a fan I love it just for the AL East. I want all of that to b the case. And with the new rule it's all good. Also, would let the Angels fell that even though they are fading fast to Texas that maybe they can beat the 3rd AL East team. And when the AL Central has 3 teams, the 2nd team there also has a shot. Thus more competive baseball as the teams are in it longer.

As far as 95 vs 85, really? How often would that be the case? And, if anything, it would be 92-82. But, I think if anything in the NL we will get the "92 Braves" as an example to see the Phillies way out in front like 10 games and still in the lead vs the 2nd teams in the NL West and NL Central. So, I startd that thinking maybe Atlanta would be willing to go down to 87 wins but now no there is enough other teams in the hunt that they still want to win as many games as possible.

I really hope they don't like the 1 game system and go for 3 games. Up the regular game ticket price by % throughout the season. Maybe as a compromise, a little less to the games that don't get the fans and a little more to the ones that fill the stadiums. Actually yes make it a big difference say if it was $5 make is $1 more for the 15K and less games, $5 more to the 15-30K and $9 more to the 30K+ games...of course if every game gets 30K+ aka NY/Boston/Cubs etc then just even stevens.

QUOTE(Jordan-N-Torifan @ Mar 1st 2012, 3:42 PM) *

Exactly how I feel. The two wild card teams could be 5-10 games apart and the better one could miss out because they lost one game. It's not fair.

addressed above. I don't see it though. How many times has that occurred? Isn't there always at least 2 teams often 3 or 4 fighting for WC the very last week?

Nice Story/Recap with the remembering the Journalist. Thanks for sharing.

Nice pictures, Tawny. Who's you friend? And Wholly molly not many left or center HR seats. Is there even some left field pole HR upper decker seats? I guess they know they don't get fans, so I guess they are congregating their cheapest fans in right field so it looks better on tv and riht over the wall in right ield where all the HR's are hit, also for TV. From TV we probably won't see how empty it is as much. How are the general idea of ticket prices per section...either picture or use words like (left&right) HR/foul ball upper deck/foul ball lower deck/foul ball behind the plate upper deck/foul ball behind the the plate lower deck.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jordan-N-Torifan
post Mar 7th 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #206460

QUOTE(druth8x @ Mar 7th 2012, 7:52 AM) *

addressed above. I don't see it though. How many times has that occurred? Isn't there always at least 2 teams often 3 or 4 fighting for WC the very last week?
Nice Story/Recap with the remembering the Journalist. Thanks for sharing.

Nice pictures, Tawny. Who's you friend? And Wholly molly not many left or center HR seats. Is there even some left field pole HR upper decker seats? I guess they know they don't get fans, so I guess they are congregating their cheapest fans in right field so it looks better on tv and riht over the wall in right ield where all the HR's are hit, also for TV. From TV we probably won't see how empty it is as much. How are the general idea of ticket prices per section...either picture or use words like (left&right) HR/foul ball upper deck/foul ball lower deck/foul ball behind the plate upper deck/foul ball behind the the plate lower deck.

There's usually a few teams in the wild card race, but because there's only one wild card, the team that has the best record at the end of the season gets into the playoffs. Now, the top 2 teams will get a chance to go to the LDS. Say the top two teams in the wild card race are 90-72 and 83-79. That 83-79 team could go to the playoffs whereas the 90-72 team could be sitting at home because they lost ONE game. That's really not fair at all.

I can't wait to see that happen to the Red Sox or Yankees. Then maybe they'll realize it's a dumb idea.

This post has been edited by Jordan-N-Torifan: Mar 7th 2012, 10:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

10490 Pages V « < 10321 10322 10323 10324 10325 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Apr 24th 2014, 7:03 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol