Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

2 Pages V  1 2 >   ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forcing It in singing, AI 11
thegreathoo
post Feb 21st 2012, 12:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI11: Kristine Osorio

Are you a fan of forced singing.

I see this a lot on the Idol, where contestant are trying to hit high notes and do bravados and sing with power. I think it garners a lot of praise. I see a lot of fans of Erika van Pelts, and Ungas, and Ledets and Testones

I do not intend this as a question on whether you think this is a winning style. But simply whether you prefer it.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Feb 21st 2012, 12:36 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

LucyLondon
post Feb 21st 2012, 1:15 AM
Post #2

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Phillip Phillips

I'm not a fan of it in general, but I think during the auditions it's okay. They're only given a small opportunity to stand out to the judges and show them what they can do so it's excusable for now.

It's when they bring the oversinging every night to the live shows that annoys me. I'm looking at you, Stefano and Jacob Lusk! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
AI10: Haley. Casey.
AI11: Phillip. Jessica. Elise. Skylar. DeAndre.
+Quote Post
toyall123
post Feb 21st 2012, 4:13 AM
Post #3

Fav. AI4: Vonzell Solomon
Fav. AI5: Elliott Yamin
Fav. Anime: Monster

Everybody does it to an extent. The question is, can you tolerate it?

And I love Jacob Lusk, by the way blarg.gif

--------------------
"My eyes can see the death of everything. I can cut the lines as long as I understand the death behind it. This means I can kill anything, even if that thing is God."-Shiki Ryougi (Garden of Sinners)
IPB Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neinsager
post Feb 21st 2012, 4:43 AM
Post #4

Fav. AI10: Scotty McCreery

it depends on whether the song is amenable to the kind of interpretation that involves a lot of vocal runs and wailing. i don't mind highly stylized diva singing per se and i think if done right, it makes a song more powerful and keeps the listener interested. i just don't like it when it's done gratuitously, just to impress voters with great vocal technique instead of trying to deliver a message. and even if the song calls for it, it loses much of its effect when you're watching a show like american idol, and 5 or more people in a row sing diva songs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
dipz0r
post Feb 21st 2012, 5:20 AM
Post #5

I totally hate oversinging. I can only tolerate if the music really calls for it, not when it's gratuitous and indulgent.
Best example is Jacob, he was so much better when he restrained his vocals: the beatles song in hollywood or his first performances live.

--------------------
Jessica, Caleb.
Majesty, MK, Briana, Emily, Brandy.
+Quote Post
smilefountain
post Feb 21st 2012, 7:32 AM
Post #6

The power singers are all my favorites, Kelly Carrie Adam Jennifer Hudson, all power singers, all my favorites, even Cook could be considered a power singer and I liked him too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
pauliewally
post Feb 21st 2012, 8:29 AM
Post #7

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI11: Erika Van Pelt
Fav. AI 12: Angela Miller

QUOTE(thegreathoo @ Feb 21st 2012, 12:36 AM) *

Are you a fan of forced singing.

I see this a lot on the Idol, where contestant are trying to hit high notes and do bravados and sing with power. I think it garners a lot of praise. I see a lot of fans of Erika van Pelts, and Ungas, and Ledets and Testones

I do not intend this as a question on whether you think this is a winning style. But simply whether you prefer it.

hmmm... I would have to say that I really enjoy power singing. It adds a lot to a performance as long as it isnt overdone. Jacob Lusk is a perfect example of overdoing it. Erika is an excellent power singer but she does not overdo it. Ive seen her perform live before and she can really captivate the audience. Can't wait until the live performances come original.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Feb 21st 2012, 8:57 AM
Post #8

Are we talking natural or going to the upper limits of their range the part they can only hit for a second or two?

--------------------
+Quote Post
pauliewally
post Feb 21st 2012, 9:20 AM
Post #9

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI11: Erika Van Pelt
Fav. AI 12: Angela Miller

QUOTE(druth8x @ Feb 21st 2012, 8:57 AM) *

Are we talking natural or going to the upper limits of their range the part they can only hit for a second or two?

yes, that would make all the difference.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
crash2007
post Feb 21st 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #10

To me, this is kind of like asking, "Do you like when a painter uses the color orange?"

In other words, if the song calls for power, then sure, I don't mind it. What I do mind is when some singers, including a couple from this season, just belt out everything with no subtlety or nuance. A good performance needs modulation. How can loud be impressive if everything is loud?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Feb 21st 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #11

I really like you Crash, I really do.

--------------------
+Quote Post
crash2007
post Feb 21st 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(druth8x @ Feb 21st 2012, 10:18 AM) *

I really like you Crash, I really do.

Thanks, the feeling is mutual!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Feb 21st 2012, 10:31 AM
Post #13

thumbsup.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Headphones
post Feb 21st 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #14

Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AI12: Lazaro Arbos

Yeah, I think the key word is "forced." Singers like Carrie, Jennifer, Pia, etc. all sound really natural when they belt, and I like that brand of power singing. But if a singer struggles for a high note and only just scrapes the bottom of it for a moment, that can get pretty irritating.

--------------------
+Quote Post
druth8x
post Feb 21st 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Headphones @ Feb 21st 2012, 10:09 AM) *

Yeah, I think the key word is "forced." Singers like Carrie, Jennifer, Pia, etc. all sound really natural when they belt, and I like that brand of power singing. But if a singer struggles for a high note and only just scrapes the bottom of it for a moment, that can get pretty irritating.

That's what I thought the OP meant.

--------------------
+Quote Post
guitarman8484
post Feb 21st 2012, 1:37 PM
Post #16

Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Skylar Laine
Fav. TV7: Allison, CWB, JDC

I agree with the OP about Elise forcing it, one high note she hit in the Vegas performance did not sound good! Other than that, if it's not harsh sounding a little bit of belting isn't a bad thing!

--------------------
IPB Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
doitforme
post Feb 21st 2012, 1:46 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(guitarman8484 @ Feb 21st 2012, 10:37 AM) *

I agree with the OP about Elise forcing it, one high note she hit in the Vegas performance did not sound good! Other than that, if it's not harsh sounding a little bit of belting isn't a bad thing!

i want to love elise, but that vegas performance made me think i just might not like her.

her voice was TOO raspy to handle a lot of notes

i hopes she sings Amy Winehouse on the semis (if she makes it) I heard her youtube video of her doing amy and it was great.

--------------------
+Quote Post
smilefountain
post Feb 21st 2012, 1:43 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Headphones @ Feb 21st 2012, 11:09 AM) *

I can't imagine anyone would like hearing someone struggle to hit a high note, it's never very pleasant.

--------------------
+Quote Post
doitforme
post Feb 21st 2012, 1:51 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(crash2007 @ Feb 21st 2012, 7:09 AM) *

To me, this is kind of like asking, "Do you like when a painter uses the color orange?"

In other words, if the song calls for power, then sure, I don't mind it. What I do mind is when some singers, including a couple from this season, just belt out everything with no subtlety or nuance. A good performance needs modulation. How can loud be impressive if everything is loud?

That is why I love Jen Hirsh. She gets very tender and subtle and it is beautiful, but then she blows itout of the park.
I could see how some say she oversang in Georgia...I enjoyed it and felt it was very intense, but I can see how some see it to be too much.

--------------------
+Quote Post
dipz0r
post Feb 21st 2012, 3:08 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(crash2007 @ Feb 21st 2012, 3:09 PM) *

You explain my point much better.

--------------------
Jessica, Caleb.
Majesty, MK, Briana, Emily, Brandy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Oct 30th 2014, 1:56 PM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol