Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »    ( Goto last unread Go to first unread post )
( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teacher Appreciation Thread
Jen
post Aug 19th 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #1

daniwub #2

Group: NX Subscribers

Fav. AI3: Diana DeGarmo
Fav. AI5: Katharine McPhee
Fav. SYTYCD: ML JF SN CG CH MS

I never start threads, but I know a lot of people here are in school for education or are teachers now so I thought this would be a fun way to talk about our classrooms, ask for advice, share resources, etc. original.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
thanks alyssa!||formerly jultrencarkimcharclayrub
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Aug 19th 2011, 11:10 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

jOshGrAcIn4EvEr
post Aug 19th 2011, 1:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Members

Fav. AI2: Joshua Gracin

Love this heart.gif

Has anyone taught abroad? I taught in South Africa for 5 weeks this summer and I loved it. happy.gif

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
juniorfan4eva
post Aug 19th 2011, 1:26 PM
Post #3

Teaching abroad would be amazing! I loved when I got to teach, I just did a co-op in high school but it was so fun. It was so rewarding when kids actually understood something because of my explanation. original.gif

--------------------
The moon never beams without bringing me dreams...
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 19th 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #4

daniwub #2

wow thats amazing!!! i havent taught abroad, but i have a lot of friends who are teaching in italy this fall original.gif i think it would be so much fun, but i'd be too nervous about leaving new england pinch.gif

im in grad school now, writing a paper entitled 'the systematic teaching of phonics and spelling in the primary classrooms: strategies and skills to promote students understanding" fml. thumbdown.gif i have 10 pages so far though so im pretty happy about that!!

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alyssa
post Aug 19th 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #5

I start orientation as a new teacher next week. High school special education teacher!

--------------------
+Quote Post
American*Juniors
post Aug 19th 2011, 7:24 PM
Post #6

Fav. AJ: Jordan McCoy
Fav. AI4: Carrie Underwood
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart

I'm studying to be a Spanish Teacher grin.gif I'm a junior and going to Spain next semester to study! So nervous!!!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
jOshGrAcIn4EvEr
post Aug 20th 2011, 1:44 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Jen @ Aug 19th 2011, 4:30 PM) *

im in grad school now, writing a paper entitled 'the systematic teaching of phonics and spelling in the primary classrooms: strategies and skills to promote students understanding" fml. thumbdown.gif i have 10 pages so far though so im pretty happy about that!!

nice! My senior thesis was on reading instruction in Montessori and public school classrooms. pinch.gif I taught in Italy too, so that's why I like Montessori so much. I'm thinking about getting certified after I have my masters. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
showstopper_123
post Aug 24th 2011, 7:56 AM
Post #8

I really have high respect for teachers cause without them we're nothing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 24th 2011, 2:30 PM
Post #9

daniwub #2

QUOTE(jOshGrAcIn4EvEr @ Aug 20th 2011, 2:44 PM) *

nice! My senior thesis was on reading instruction in Montessori and public school classrooms. pinch.gif I taught in Italy too, so that's why I like Montessori so much. I'm thinking about getting certified after I have my masters. happy.gif

this was just a paper for a class; thank goodness its done! and wow thats awesome montessori is great. you should definitely get certified! Any certification helps...I'm trying to get certified in all N.E. states just in case [I'm certified in all but Mass. working on my MTELs now...i want to kill myself!]

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
jOshGrAcIn4EvEr
post Aug 24th 2011, 5:33 PM
Post #10

It's so frustrating how being licensed in one state doesn't necessarily mean you'll be licensed if you move! Testing companies just love to take money from future teachers. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ClayfuLnCutE
post Aug 24th 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #11

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson
Fav. AI2: Clay Aiken

I'm studying to be a math teacher. I did my junior practicum last semester. I taught a twelve day unit on data analysis (graphs, mean/median/mode/range, that type of thing) to sixth graders. I think it was probably one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I really loved the kids, and they made me some beautiful thank you cards at the end of the semester. One of the kids even wrote a goodbye song and performed it for me! It was too adorable.
I'll be student teaching in a high school in the spring. I feel kind of intimidated, but I'm excited too. I already took my Praxis tests so I could get certified in NJ and PA...hoping that will better my chances of getting a job.
By the way, I love this thread idea original.gif I'm sure I'll be posting a lot when I start student teaching.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 24th 2011, 5:55 PM
Post #12

daniwub #2

QUOTE(ClayfuLnCutE @ Aug 24th 2011, 6:50 PM) *

I'm studying to be a math teacher. I did my junior practicum last semester. I taught a twelve day unit on data analysis (graphs, mean/median/mode/range, that type of thing) to sixth graders. I think it was probably one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I really loved the kids, and they made me some beautiful thank you cards at the end of the semester. One of the kids even wrote a goodbye song and performed it for me! It was too adorable.
I'll be student teaching in a high school in the spring. I feel kind of intimidated, but I'm excited too. I already took my Praxis tests so I could get certified in NJ and PA...hoping that will better my chances of getting a job.
By the way, I love this thread idea original.gif I'm sure I'll be posting a lot when I start student teaching.

thats so sweet!!! wub.gif student teaching is seriously the best feeling ever. you dont have your own classroom yet, so all the responsibility isnt solely on you at first, but you still see the progress of the students and make a difference!! i miss student teaching crying.gif my kids were seriously the best! i still get e-mails from them sometimes haha.gif

and yeah, certification is ridiculous....if all states are adopting the common core - shouldn't there be a similar 'common core' teachers test? it would make sense wacko.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
JORDAN_FAN
post Aug 26th 2011, 8:27 PM
Post #13

Fav. AI7: David Archuleta
Fav. AJ:JordanMcCoy AI3:JohnStevens

QUOTE(ClayfuLnCutE @ Aug 24th 2011, 6:50 PM) *

I already took my Praxis tests so I could get certified in NJ and PA...hoping that will better my chances of getting a job.

Oooo, how was the Praxis? I have to take it this year.

I am in my senior year studying Elementary Education and am student teaching in the fall. So I will probably be in here a lot asking questions and what not. haha.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 27th 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #14

daniwub #2

QUOTE(JORDAN_FAN @ Aug 26th 2011, 9:27 PM) *

Oooo, how was the Praxis? I have to take it this year.
I am in my senior year studying Elementary Education and am student teaching in the fall. So I will probably be in here a lot asking questions and what not. haha.gif

do you have to take the praxis 1 or praxis II? I took the praxis II it was really easy. studying for the praxis I now, it seems pretty much the same as the II. original.gif Good luck with student teaching!!! Come in here and post, I love to hear everyones experiences wub.gif What grade do you have?

Finished my subbing applications today, now I just have to wait and see...

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
JORDAN_FAN
post Aug 27th 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #15

I am taking the Praxis II. yes.gif Glad to hear that it is somewhat easy--I was freaking out. haha.gif I submit my application in a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure which grade I have yet. What grade did you do for student teaching? And good luck on your subbing applications! My plan is to sub if I can't find a job right away after school.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 27th 2011, 3:49 PM
Post #16

daniwub #2

if youre nervous go onto the website and take some of the practice questions!! the science/social studies questions are kind of ridiculous but the math/english are easier original.gif the only suggestion for the essays make sure you try to incorporate a good amount of 'teacher language' i.e.: schema, lesson plans, minilessons, word walls, etc. depending on the question. I student taught in 5th grade and i absolutely fell in love. i taught all grades [1-6] before but always wanted to work with younger kids and ended up LOVING the older kids!! yeah im in grad school now finishing up my mass. license and looking for a job but subbing is the ideal option right now, plus my other [very] part time job, where i teach science workshops original.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alyssa
post Aug 27th 2011, 4:33 PM
Post #17

I just bought a bunch of stuff for my classroom today. The things teachers do for their students...

--------------------
+Quote Post
JORDAN_FAN
post Aug 27th 2011, 5:07 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Jen @ Aug 27th 2011, 4:49 PM) *

if youre nervous go onto the website and take some of the practice questions!! the science/social studies questions are kind of ridiculous but the math/english are easier original.gif the only suggestion for the essays make sure you try to incorporate a good amount of 'teacher language' i.e.: schema, lesson plans, minilessons, word walls, etc. depending on the question. I student taught in 5th grade and i absolutely fell in love. i taught all grades [1-6] before but always wanted to work with younger kids and ended up LOVING the older kids!! yeah im in grad school now finishing up my mass. license and looking for a job but subbing is the ideal option right now, plus my other [very] part time job, where i teach science workshops original.gif

I will definitely be practicing alot for the science and social studies questions, that's for sure. yes.gif haha.gif Oooo, thanks for the advice on the essays! I will definitely keep that in mind! Awww what a fun age! I am hoping to student teach one of the older grades (3-6). And that's really cool about your job! Was science your area of concentration?

QUOTE(Alyssa @ Aug 27th 2011, 5:33 PM) *

I just bought a bunch of stuff for my classroom today. The things teachers do for their students...

Fun! happy.gif What grade do you teach?

--------------------
+Quote Post
AmberTamblynFan
post Aug 27th 2011, 6:16 PM
Post #19

Fav. AI10: Casey Abrams
Fav. Movie: The Breakfast Club

I'm in education! I have two years left. My stream is early years- kindergarten to grade 4- because I adore little kids and love working with them wub.gif

Two questions I have:

1) How can you discipline/control kids more? I am kind of scared to discipline them, honestly, because I think I have a kind of easygoing personality and I don't want to make them hate me, but I also can't let them walk all over me.

2) How do you have a great relationship with the teacher that's in your practicum classroom? Last year, I didn't have the greatest relationship with mine and I never once ate in the staff room- that probably sounds dumb hahaha. This year, the program gets a lot more intense and I want to have a really good relationship with the teacher in my class & feel like I can ask them anything or talk to them about anything, as well as have a relationship with other staff members.

Sorry my questions are so long haha.

This post has been edited by AmberTamblynFan: Aug 27th 2011, 6:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jen
post Aug 27th 2011, 7:59 PM
Post #20

daniwub #2

QUOTE(JORDAN_FAN @ Aug 27th 2011, 6:07 PM) *

I will definitely be practicing alot for the science and social studies questions, that's for sure. yes.gif haha.gif Oooo, thanks for the advice on the essays! I will definitely keep that in mind! Awww what a fun age! I am hoping to student teach one of the older grades (3-6). And that's really cool about your job! Was science your area of concentration?

Older kids are gerat wub.gif but i do love those youngsters! what i love about the older kids is that you can have a real relationship with them. Science wasn't my concentration, i actually minored in spanish haha.gif but theres this amazing company called mad science [they have them all around the world!] that do a great job with hands on inquiry based learning. if anyone here is looking for a part time job, look if there is a mad science group near you!!

QUOTE(AmberTamblynFan @ Aug 27th 2011, 7:16 PM) *

I'm in education! I have two years left. My stream is early years- kindergarten to grade 4- because I adore little kids and love working with them wub.gif

Two questions I have:

1) How can you discipline/control kids more? I am kind of scared to discipline them, honestly, because I think I have a kind of easygoing personality and I don't want to make them hate me, but I also can't let them walk all over me.

2) How do you have a great relationship with the teacher that's in your practicum classroom? Last year, I didn't have the greatest relationship with mine and I never once ate in the staff room- that probably sounds dumb hahaha. This year, the program gets a lot more intense and I want to have a really good relationship with the teacher in my class & feel like I can ask them anything or talk to them about anything, as well as have a relationship with other staff members.

Sorry my questions are so long haha.

I'm going to try and answer but I'm sure others might have better answers haha.gif

1. I think the main thing you need to know before going into any situation is that you are in control. dont be afraid to discipline the children - they'll forgive you! It's hard but it definitely is something you get used to and get better at. Obviously, you can't discipline them over every little thing so what I was always taught is to choose your battles and if it is a pet peeve of yours but not distracting everyone else [i.e.: a child who can't sit still] try not to let that get to you. I have a really easy going personality and things don't get to me much, but if a child is being disrespectful to me or someone else, don't be afraid to discipline! They might not like you for that day, but they'll get over it. Also, remember that every day is a new day!

2. I had a great relationship with my cooperating teacher because I think I was always open to criticism and praise, as well as asking a lot of questions. I think that if you explain right off the bat that you want to learn a lot from your CT and show your enthusiasm they should be welcoming! As for staff members, I got to know them through the lunch room and through my CT. I had trouble with my supervisor, however, and was able to talk to someone in the school of edu. office and she was able to switch my supervisor. So I think if you really don't get along, try for a bit and then see if theres anyone to talk to about it! But like I said, try and be enthusiastic and open to any challenge and try and help whenever you can. It is hard for teachers sometimes to let others into their classroom because they have a certain way they do things, but hopefully your experience will be a lot better this year. Good luck!! I hope this helped a bit flowers.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Apr 25th 2014, 2:52 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol