Neurox Media Network: idolforums.com | aikenforums.com | IDF Webmail  
Neurox Media's American Idol 10, 9 & 8 / So You Think You Can Dance 8, 7 & 6 / Glee / X Factor Forums & Message Boards
Neurox Advertising   The banner image below is an ad.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register - It's quick & free! | Resend Validation )    

( Star this topic Star this topic | View starred topics )    Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Look at this crap article.
Sportsman280
post Jan 18th 2012, 2:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Fav. AI8: Anoop Desai
Fav. AI10: Haley Reinhart
Fav. AI11: Elise Testone

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../DDVR1M3JV7.DTL

"The biggest change we made last year was to say, 'OK, if you're a country singer you can sing any of these genres in your country style,' " Lythgoe said. "'We're not going to force you to do rock or anything you can't do. You can take a Michael Jackson song and turn it country.'"

That resulted in singers such as Casey Abrams and Haley Reinhart advancing much deeper into the competition than they might have in previous years. The two teenage finalists, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina, were country singers.

LOL WHAT? Can someone please explain to me how Lythgoe letting the country kids stay in the country lane benefited Haley and Casey whatsoever? I don't even understand the logic behind that statement. Haley consistently changed genres while One Lane Scotty rode his horse til the end.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NX AdBot™
post Jan 18th 2012, 2:59 AM

NX Advertisement

Group: Marketing

Subscribe to NX to remove this advertisement post. Help us pay for our servers! Click for subscriber benefits.

kaypea
post Jan 18th 2012, 7:19 AM
Post #2

QUOTE(Sportsman280 @ Jan 18th 2012, 2:59 AM) *

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../DDVR1M3JV7.DTL

"The biggest change we made last year was to say, 'OK, if you're a country singer you can sing any of these genres in your country style,' " Lythgoe said. "'We're not going to force you to do rock or anything you can't do. You can take a Michael Jackson song and turn it country.'"

That resulted in singers such as Casey Abrams and Haley Reinhart advancing much deeper into the competition than they might have in previous years. The two teenage finalists, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina, were country singers.

LOL WHAT? Can someone please explain to me how Lythgoe letting the country kids stay in the country lane benefited Haley and Casey whatsoever? I don't even understand the logic behind that statement. Haley consistently changed genres while One Lane Scotty rode his horse til the end.

There is no logic to it.All you can do is laugh at it.Just like you have to laugh at Nigel's description of Haley later in the article.I can't wait for her "soft jazz " album to come out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
JMT
post Jan 18th 2012, 9:33 AM
Post #3

Yep. Just the typical Nigel crap, spinning logic 180 degrees. His statement leads to the conclusion that the 'chosen two' advanced much farther than they would have it Seasons 1 - 9. He wanted Haley out, Jimmy wanted her in-- so he can't resist the opportunity to taken one last parting shot at them both.

It will be really interesting to see the way Nigel 'frames' Haley's return the to show when she performs this year.

--------------------
+Quote Post
WayneBrady
post Jan 18th 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #4

The article is saying Casey and Haley were able to make their songs more jazzy to fit their style. Quit freaking out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tusk
post Jan 18th 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #5

Fav. AI1: Kelly Clarkson

I saw a similar article, I have a feeling editing has something to do with the misunderstanding. Like the above said, Nigel's point was that they didin't try to force contestants to not be themselves. The part Nigel is not correct is, Haley, DID NOT stay in her lane. she did country, R&B, Rock and Jazz. The other's? Yah they were allowed to 'not grow'..... wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JMT
post Jan 18th 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Tusk @ Jan 18th 2012, 11:16 AM) *

I saw a similar article, I have a feeling editing has something to do with the misunderstanding. Like the above said, Nigel's point was that they didin't try to force contestants to not be themselves. The part Nigel is not correct is, Haley, DID NOT stay in her lane. she did country, R&B, Rock and Jazz. The other's? Yah they were allowed to 'not grow'..... wink.gif

Perhaps the writer came to the wrong conclusion-- that keeping the contestants 'in their lanes' allowed Casey and Haley to hang in the competition longer? Of course, the writer has the wrong two contestants. More likely (in my mind) Nigel said that but the author didn't quote him directly.

Haley would have been allowed (actually encouraged) in years past to sing EXACTLY what she sang-- and been praised by Simon for it. Same for Casey. On the other hand, Scotty and Lauren would have been vilified by Simon for not stretching themselves and not growing as performers, and possibly (likely) never made it as far as they did. AI's biggest Country winner, Carrie, had some awkward moments there, singing outside the box, but in the end she prevailed. Scotty never had the opportunity to 'rise to the occasion.'

Being from the 'conspiratorial camp' I choose to believe that this 'staying in their lanes' for AI10 was contrived by Nigel to get the results he wanted (needed)-- another Country winner. Additional evidence for my theory will be Season 11. If they're still staying in their lanes again, then I will admit it's a L/T direction for the show. If not then....

--------------------
+Quote Post
mercfan3
post Jan 18th 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #7

Actually, I think it's a dumb article to begin with.

Essentially since Carrie a person has been able to stick to a genre the entire time.

And for a few seasons now, if they hadn't stuck to that genre, they would have been told "I don't know who you are as an artist" (With Adam Lambert being the lone exception) ..I think this started with Kara.

This season, because Haley changed so much, she got that criticism. And it was only when the categories started becoming more strict (Rock week, Elton John, Carol King, etc..) did she get praise, because they no longer could say "you don't know who you are," because the contestants were forced to pick a song in a specific genre.

The point about country singers not doing as well? Really? Because it's not like country singers haven't historically done quite well in this competition..oh wait..they have. Scotty would have won if all he did was come out on stage, fart, and then exit the stage every week. And Lauren might have been done better if she had been encouraged to sing a little more of a country rock style (like she did in her audition) instead of being told over and over again that she should go for bigger notes (that she was already hitting. It was her confidence and stage presence that was the issue..not her notes..idiot judges..)

--------------------
IPB Image
Great Things Come In Small Packages
+Quote Post
Dani_Reinhart
post Jan 18th 2012, 6:09 PM
Post #8

If idol genre jumped their themes, you know Haley would have shined. (as if she didn't already)
The reason Carrie was such a respected contestant was the fact that she could sing literally anything. She gained fans from all genres which probably followed her after idol and made her so successful. Lauren and Scotty are pigeon holed into one style which isn't a bad thing but an American Idol should be well rounded.

--------------------
+Quote Post
kristie
post Jan 18th 2012, 7:56 PM
Post #9

Fav. AI7: David Cook
Fav. AI 13: Jena Irene

nigel just isn't very smart a lot of time.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
viva_nashvegas
post Jan 19th 2012, 1:04 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(JMT @ Jan 18th 2012, 9:33 AM) *

Yep. Just the typical Nigel crap, spinning logic 180 degrees. His statement leads to the conclusion that the 'chosen two' advanced much farther than they would have it Seasons 1 - 9. He wanted Haley out, Jimmy wanted her in-- so he can't resist the opportunity to taken one last parting shot at them both.

It will be really interesting to see the way Nigel 'frames' Haley's return the to show when she performs this year.

Maybe this is me being too optimistic, but I'd like to think Nigel would want to make Haley look as good as possible. Every successful idol legitimizes the show more and more- he wants as many successful artists to come out of the "idol machine" as possible. So hopefully, they'll promote Haley the best they can(even if it is for selfish purposes lol).

--------------------
"Music is not just a part of my everyday life- I'm surrounded by it every minute. If I'm not stickin an ear out to hear that lovely song playing in a restaurant, then I'm singing five different ones in my head! Music continues to remind me that its boundaries are limitless. When a song brings forth different emotions, that's when I know it's really hit me. When it brings me to tears, or gives me the feeling as though I've fallen in love...I'm in another place where even "inspired" is an understatement." -Haley F#%*in Reinhart

((for some reason, I feel like its weird when people refer to me as my username lol. My name's Megan))
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-
Lo-Fi Version 81 Time is now: Nov 24th 2014, 1:52 AM

We now accept check/money order donations in addition to online donations via PayPal!  Help us pay for our servers, donate to Neurox Media!  Thanks!
Links: Reality TV Links - American Idol | SirLinksalot: American Idol